1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the angles of the triangle

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a be a unit vector and b be a non-zero vector not parallel to a. Find the angles of the triangle, whose two sides are represented by the vectors √3(a x b) and b-(a.b)a

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The third side will be equal to [itex]\sqrt{3}(a \times b) - \left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex]

Now taking the dot product of the given two sides will give me zero so the angle between them is 90°. But what about the other two angles? Even if I take the dot product of the remaining sides pairwise it will not give me an expression which can be evaluated as I don't know the lengths of sides of the triangle.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You know the length of the sides in terms of a and b, that is sufficient to find an expression for the angle.
    I did not calculate it, but my intuition is that you will get a result independent of a and b.

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think that is borne out, but does it matter? Why cannot the answer be in terms of a and b?

5. Aug 19, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It can, but a is unit vector and the result will contain b in the form of b2/b2 :devil:

ehild

6. Aug 19, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I see it now. Must have made an algebraic error. b - (a.b)a is merely the component of b perpendicular to a. The vector axb only depends on that component of b.

7. Aug 19, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Exactly, and therefore |b| does not influence the angles. |a| is known, and the other lengths scale properly with the angle between a and b, so the result is independent of the vectors.

8. Aug 19, 2013 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Can you please help me out? I'm still not getting it.

9. Aug 19, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Did you calculate that?

10. Aug 20, 2013 #9

utkarshakash

Gold Member

No. I mean I don't know how to calculate that? My only guess is length of one side of the triangle might be √3. I'm not sure. I have no idea about length of other two sides.

11. Aug 20, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please post your attempt at calculating the angle between, say, [itex]\sqrt{3}(a \times b) - \left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex] and [itex]\left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex]

12. Aug 20, 2013 #11

utkarshakash

Gold Member

OK. I took the dot product of the two sides (posted by you) and got something like this

[itex] \left( \vec{a} . \vec{b} \right) ^2 - | \vec{b} |^2 [/itex]

which after further simplification yields [itex]-b^2 sin^2 \theta [/itex], where θ is the angle between a and b.

Now, to get the angle between these two sides I also need their magnitudes so that I can divide the obtained expression by product of their magnitudes to get the cosine of the angle between them.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  13. Aug 20, 2013 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Just continue with the calculations...
    You need the magnitudes, how do you calculate them?

14. Aug 21, 2013 #13

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I took the dot product of the sides with itself and got the magnitudes as [itex]4b^2 sin^2 \theta [/itex] and [itex] b^2 sin^2 \theta[/itex]. Now if I will divide the expression obtained earlier with the product of these two I get [itex]\dfrac{-1}{4 b^2 sin^2 \theta}[/itex]. Unfortunately, this still contains b. :cry:

15. Aug 21, 2013 #14

mfb

2016 Award

I think your values are the squares of the magnitudes and not the actual magnitudes.

16. Aug 21, 2013 #15

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Oh! That was a silly mistake. Thanks for pointing out.:approve:

17. Aug 21, 2013 #16
    How do you evaluate ##(a \times b).(a \times b)##?

Sorry for the dumb question but how do you conclude that? :confused:

18. Aug 21, 2013 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Useful rule: ##(a \times b).(a \times b) = a^2b^2sin^2(\theta) = a^2b^2(1-cos^2(\theta)) = a^2b^2-(a.b)^2##.
    Since a is a unit vector, (a.b)a is the component of b in the direction of a. Its magnitude is |b|cos(θ) and its direction is that of a. Subtracting it from b leaves the component perpendicular to a.

19. Aug 22, 2013 #18
    Thanks haruspex. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted