Finding Angle C in an ABC Triangle

In summary: Didn't want to hijack a conversation that was already on to something else.I drew the diagram according to original problem description, and intuition tells me that b, and angle B, and angle C are not locked into any set of single values. Not a unique triangle. That's only first impression.Thinking further,forget about trying Law Of Cosines.Law Of Sines seems fitting:sin(C)/7=sin(30)/5sin(C)=(7/5)sin(30)sin(C)=7/10and from this you could get value for angle C.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

ABC is a triangle
The angle A = 30 degrees
AB = 7cm
BC = 5 cm
C is an acute angle. Find the size of angle C?

Homework Equations

I need to use the cosine rule here Cos C = (a^2 + b^2 - c^2) / 2ac

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I do not know the size of side b?
So how can I attempt to resolve the answer?

Cos C = (5^2 + b^2 - 7^2) / 2*5*7

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:

Homework Statement

ABC is a triangle
The angle A = 30 degrees
AB = 7cm
BC = 5 cm
C is an acute angle. Find the size of angle C?

Homework Equations

I need to use the cosine rule here Cos C = (a^2 + b^2 - c^2) / 2ac

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I do not know the size of side b?
So how can I attempt to resolve the answer?

Cos C = (5^2 + b^2 - 7^2) / 2*5*7

Why do you need to use the cosine rule? Did somebody tell you that you are being forced to use it?

Just use whatever tool is the most convenient. If I were doing it I would let the points be at ##A = (0,0), B = (7,0), C = (x,y).## You can use the information about angle A and distance BC to get two equations in ##x, y##. These can be reduced to a single equation in ##x##, which is solvable without too much trouble.

Likes SammyS
Thanks Ray but we have never used this method in class and I am sure this is the approach my teacher wants us to do it. Can I not use the cosine rule or sine rule then?

One way or another you'll have to find side b if you're going to apply the cosine rule. If you're not comfortable jumping right into the algebra with a method you've not used before, then start with a diagram and come up with a plan from there.

upload_2018-12-18_12-29-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-18_12-29-12.png
    upload_2018-12-18_12-29-12.png
    2 KB · Views: 402
Likes neilparker62
Natasha1 said:
I need to use the cosine rule here
Says who ?

Natasha1 said:
Can I not use the cosine rule or sine rule then?
What about this second option ? :smile:

Ah ha!

cos A / a = sin C / c

So cos 30 / 5 = sin C / 7

So sin C = 7*(cos 30 / 5) = 1.212435565

How do I get the angle?

Natasha1 said:
cos A / a = sin C / c
Not how I remember the law of sines :rolleyes:

Natasha1 said:
How do I get the angle?
The button on your calculator don't work for cosines > 1 ? :wink:

Ah ha!

sin A / a = sin C / c

So sin 30 / 5 = sin C / 7

So sin C = 7*(sin 30) / 5 = 0.7

arcsin gives 44.4 degrees

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and FactChecker
In general you will use the cos rule for solving a triangle if the givens are the 3 sides or alternatively 2 sides and an angle formed between the 2 given sides.

Natasha1 said:
Ah ha!

sin A / a = sin C / c

So sin 30 / 5 = sin C / 7

So sin C = 7*(sin 30) / 5 = 0.7

arcsin gives 44.4 degrees
It could be that there are two different triangles that satisfy the given measurements, as in the drawing in post #4. If ##\sin(C) = .7## there is also another angle that is possible for C.

Edit: Since it is stated in post #1 that C is an acute angle, the above does not apply.

Last edited:
Likes gneill
Natasha1 said:
C is an acute angle

Likes gneill
Mark44 said:
It could be that there are two different triangles that satisfy the given measurements, as in the drawing in post #4. If sin(C)=.7sin⁡(C)=.7\sin(C) = .7 there is also another angle that is possible for C.
Actually, that was my primary reason for posting the diagram. Too subtle?

Natasha1 said:
C is an acute angle
Missed that in the first post.

Mark44 said:
Maybe too subtle, since the OP didn't seem to pick up on it.
:frown: Okay, will a tad more blatant in future. I hate blatant when gently nudging :smile:

gneill said:
Actually, that was my primary reason for posting the diagram. Too subtle?
I thought that it was just subtle enough.

I drew the diagram according to original problem description, and intuition tells me that b, and angle B, and angle C are not locked into any set of single values. Not a unique triangle. That's only first impression.

Thinking further,
forget about trying Law Of Cosines.

Law Of Sines seems fitting:

sin(C)/7=sin(30)/5

sin(C)=(7/5)sin(30)

sin(C)=7/10
and from this you could get value for angle C.Now, you could use AB, BC, and angle at B, to find b, using Law Of Cosines.; but you could use Law Of Sines again if you want.

symbolipoint said:
I drew the diagram according to original problem description, ...
Why come with this now, when OP has cracked the case in #9 ?

BvU said:
Why come with this now, when OP has cracked the case in #9 ?
Post was not old. I had to try the problem myself to see if or where Law Of Cosines would be useful; and I edited my own post twice within 20 minutes. Post #9 did not indicate any use of Law Of Cosines.

Natasha1 said:
Thanks Ray but we have never used this method in class and I am sure this is the approach my teacher wants us to do it. Can I not use the cosine rule or sine rule then?

1. How do you find angle C in an ABC triangle?

To find angle C in an ABC triangle, you can use the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines. You will need to have the lengths of two sides and the measure of the included angle to use the Law of Cosines, or the lengths of two sides and the measure of an angle opposite one of the sides to use the Law of Sines.

2. Why is it important to find angle C in an ABC triangle?

Finding angle C in an ABC triangle is important because it allows us to fully understand and solve the triangle. Knowing all three angles in a triangle allows us to determine the shape, size, and other properties of the triangle.

3. Can you find angle C without knowing the lengths of any sides?

No, you cannot find angle C without knowing the lengths of any sides. You need to have at least one side length and the measure of an angle to find angle C using the Law of Sines.

4. Is there more than one way to find angle C in an ABC triangle?

Yes, there are multiple ways to find angle C in an ABC triangle. You can use the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines, as mentioned earlier. You can also use other trigonometric functions, such as tangent or cosine, depending on the given information.

5. What if I only know the lengths of two sides and the measure of angle A?

If you only know the lengths of two sides and the measure of angle A, you can still use the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines to find angle C. You will need to use the given information and a trigonometric function to find the measure of angle B, and then use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is 180 degrees to find angle C.