Find the Angular Acceleration with and Without the disk inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the angular acceleration of a uniform disk in two different scenarios: one where the rotational inertia of the disk is ignored and one where it is considered. The disk is released from rest, the cord does not slip, and bearing friction is negligible. The angular acceleration is specified to be positive if counterclockwise and negative if clockwise. The conversation also mentions using the equations ƩM = Iα and ƩF=ma, as well as calculating the linear acceleration of the weights in the first scenario.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Determine the angular acceleration of the uniform disk if (a) the rotational inertia of the disk is ignored and (b) the inertia of the disk is considered. The system is released from rest, the cord does not slip on the disk, and bearing friction at O may be neglected. The angular acceleration is positive if counterclockwise, negative if clockwise.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 1.5 kg
m2 = 3.1kg
r = 0.32m

I started by summing the moments about O

ƩMO = (-m1gr + m2gr)/IO

IO = 2mr2 but I'm not sure why this is the case. A classmate of mine said something about adding in the inertias from the weight but I'm not sure what this means.

Also, how to I account for the disk inertia?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 6.048.png
    dyn 6.048.png
    21 KB · Views: 907
Physics news on Phys.org
I started by summing the moments about O
... which confused you.

The force on the disk comes from the tensions acting at opposite points.
The tensions come from the weights. The equation is ƩM = Iα ... which is not the same as:
ƩMO = (-m1gr + m2gr)/IO

Breaking it down:

In the first case you would be better to find the linear acceleration of the weights, and use that to deduce the angular acceleration of the disk.

In the second case, you have three free-body diagrams instead of just two.
You need ƩF=ma as well as ƩM = Iα

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

3. How is disk inertia related to angular acceleration?

Disk inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly proportional to angular acceleration, meaning that the greater the disk inertia, the greater the angular acceleration.

4. Can you find the angular acceleration without knowing the disk inertia?

Yes, it is possible to find the angular acceleration without knowing the disk inertia. This can be done by using the formula α = τ / I, where τ is the torque applied to the object and I is the moment of inertia. However, knowing the disk inertia can provide more accurate results.

5. How can you measure the disk inertia?

The disk inertia can be measured by performing experiments with the object and recording its rotational motion. The moment of inertia can also be calculated using the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Alternatively, it can also be obtained from the object's specifications or manufacturer's data.