Moment of inertia and angular velocity of a uniform disk

In summary: The gain in KE has come from a loss of energy somewhere else. What is the nature of that loss and how can you calculate it?
Sara583

Homework Statement

Two particles, each of mass m, are attached one to each end of a diameter PQ of a uniform circular disk, of mass 4m, radius a with its centre at O. The system is free to rotate about a horizontal axis through A, a point on PQ such that OA = b as indicated in the diagram below. The system is released from rest when PQ is horizontal.[/B]
Determine the Moment of Inertia of the system about the axis A, in terms of integer constants, a , b and m.
Determine the angular velocity of the disk plus masses when PQ is vertical. Enter your answer in terms of integer constants, a, b and the acceleration due to gravity g.

Homework Equations

I=ma^2
parallel axis equation I=Icentre of mass + md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already calculated the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem, which gave me 4ma^2+6mb^2, but now I'm not entirely sure how to relate the acceleration to the moment of inertia to find the angular velocity. Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Hint: describe what sort of motion you expect.
See also: Newtons laws and/or conservation of energy.

Last edited:
Sara583 said:
Two particles, each of mass m, are attached one to each end of a diameter PQ of a uniform circular disk, of mass 4m, radius a with its centre at O. The system is free to rotate about a horizontal axis through A, a point on PQ such that OA = b as indicated in the diagram below. The system is released from rest when PQ is horizontal.
Determine the Moment of Inertia of the system about the axis A, in terms of integer constants, a , b and m.
Determine the angular velocity of the disk plus masses when PQ is vertical. Enter your answer in terms of integer constants, a, b and the acceleration due to gravity g.
I don't see a diagram, and the description does not make clear whether the disk starts in a vertical plane or in a horizontal plane.
Sara583 said:
I already calculated the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem, which gave me 4ma^2+6mb^2
Whichever interpretation I use, I don't get that formula. Please post your working.

here is the diagram for the problem:
My working for part a was)
parallel axis theorem: Icentre of mass + md^2
d= b , total mass = 6m
(ma^2 + ma^2+ 1/2(4m)a^2)+ 6m(b)^2
2ma^2+2ma^2+6mb^2
4ma^2+6mb^2
Hopefully it makes more sense with the diagram now. The program has marked my answer has correct so I assumed I hadn't misapplied the above theorem but if I have, please tell me.

Attachments

• moment of inertia dia.png
    moment of inertia dia.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 634
Sara583 said:
here is the diagram for the problem:
My working for part a was)
parallel axis theorem: Icentre of mass + md^2
d= b , total mass = 6m
(ma^2 + ma^2+ 1/2(4m)a^2)+ 6m(b)^2
2ma^2+2ma^2+6mb^2
4ma^2+6mb^2
Hopefully it makes more sense with the diagram now. The program has marked my answer has correct so I assumed I hadn't misapplied the above theorem but if I have, please tell me.
Ah yes, my mistake.
So have you done the whole question now, or are you still stuck on the second part? Did you try conservation of energy as Simon suggested?

I know that K = 1/2 Iω^2 but I'm still a bit unsure how to calculate the total energy beforehand. Am I missing something?

Sara583 said:
I know that K = 1/2 Iω^2 but I'm still a bit unsure how to calculate the total energy beforehand. Am I missing something?
The gain in KE has come from a loss of energy somewhere else. What is the nature of that loss and how can you calculate it?

Thank you very much! I did manage to solve it in the end using your hints about energy loss.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measurement of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a uniform disk?

The moment of inertia for a uniform disk can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2) * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius of the disk.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a uniform disk?

The moment of inertia of a uniform disk is affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass. The moment of inertia will be higher if the mass is concentrated farther from the axis of rotation, and lower if the mass is distributed closer to the axis of rotation.

How does angular velocity affect a uniform disk?

Angular velocity is the measurement of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. In the case of a uniform disk, the angular velocity will affect the speed at which the disk rotates, as well as the direction of rotation.

Can the moment of inertia and angular velocity of a uniform disk change?

Yes, the moment of inertia and angular velocity of a uniform disk can change if there is a change in the mass or distribution of mass, or if an external force or torque is applied to the disk. These changes can affect the rotational motion of the disk.