Angular Acceleration of Cord Problem

In summary, the problem involves a disk and drum with a combined mass of 6 kg and a combined radius of gyration of 90 mm, attached by a cord and pulled by a force of 20 N. The disk is rolling without sliding, and the goal is to determine the minimum coefficient of static friction that will allow for this motion. By summing the torques, we can find that the minimum coefficient is 0.165.
RoyalFlush100

Homework Statement

"A drum of 60-mm radius is attached to a disk of 120-mm radius. The disk and drum have a total mass of 6 kg and a combined radius of gyration of 90 mm. A cord is attached as shown and pulled with a force P of magnitude 20 N. The disk rolls without sliding. Determine the minimum value of the coefficient of static friction compatible with this motion."

I have attached the image below

Homework Equations

T = Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

Known forces:
W = (6 kg)(9.81 N/kg) = 58.86 N, downwards, at G
First, because the system is not accelerating in the y direction we know that:
N = W - P = 58.86 - 20 = 38.86 N
Friction then will equal:
f = 38.86μ

Moment of Inertia:
I = (6 kg)(0.09 m)^2 = 0.0486 kg*m^2

So, now the sum of all torques:
T = -(0.12 m)(38.86μ) = (0.0486 kg*m^2)α

I'll need angular acceleration of the middle disc. What would I need to do to find that? Also, I'm assuming there has to be another horizontal force (presumably at G), how would that factor in?

Attachments

• Q4.png
    Q4.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RoyalFlush100 said:
Moment of Inertia:
I = (6 kg)(0.9 m)^2 = 4.86 kg*m^2
Check your conversion from 90 mm to meters.

RoyalFlush100 said:
So, now the sum of all torques:
T = -(0.18 m)(38.86μ) = (4.86 kg*m^2)α
Where did 0.18 meter come from. It says the disk is 120 mm, which converts to 0.12 meter.
Also, in summing torques, doesn't the force P produce a torque?
RoyalFlush100 said:
Also, I'm assuming there has to be another horizontal force (presumably at G), how would that factor in?
I'm not sure where that other horizontal force would come from. P is vertical, weight is vertical, normal is vertical, and friction is horizontal. Is there anything else other than those?

TomHart said:
Check your conversion from 90 mm to meters.Where did 0.18 meter come from. It says the disk is 120 mm, which converts to 0.12 meter.
Also, in summing torques, doesn't the force P produce a torque?

I'm not sure where that other horizontal force would come from. P is vertical, weight is vertical, normal is vertical, and friction is horizontal. Is there anything else other than those?
Okay, I edited the OP to fix the length measurements.

So the torque now should be:
T = -(0.12 m)(38.86μ) + (0.06 m)(20 N) = (0.0486 kg*m^2)α

And disregard what I said about the horizontal forces, it makes sense now.

However, I am not sure how to calculate angular acceleration in this case. Or is angular acceleration 0?

RoyalFlush100 said:
However, I am not sure how to calculate angular acceleration in this case. Or is angular acceleration 0?
You need to use the equation that relates angular acceleration to linear acceleration. If you are trying to find the minimum coefficient of friction that will produce no slipping, that indicates that there will be acceleration.

TomHart said:
You need to use the equation that relates angular acceleration to linear acceleration. If you are trying to find the minimum coefficient of friction that will produce no slipping, that indicates that there will be acceleration.
a = rα.
So in that case:
ma = mrα = (6 kg)(0.06 m)α = 38.86μ --> α = 38.86μ/((6 kg)(0.06 m)) = 10.794444μ
T = -(0.12 m)(38.86μ) + (0.06 m)(20 N) = (0.0486 kg*m^2)(10.794444μ)
-4.6632μ + 1.2 = 0.52461μ
1.2 = 5.18781μ
μ = 0.231

However, that is being marked as incorrect.

Do you know the correct answer to the problem? I wanted to know if I got it right.

TomHart said:
Do you know the correct answer to the problem? I wanted to know if I got it right.
No, sorry.

RoyalFlush100 said:
ma = mrα = (6 kg)(0.06 m)α
One thing I noticed in your equation: You are using a radius of 60 mm. The angular acceleration is not related to the linear acceleration by the radius of the smaller disk. It is the larger disk that is not slipping on the road surface. So the angular acceleration has to be related to linear acceleration by the 120 mm disk - not the 60 mm disk.

TomHart said:
One thing I noticed in your equation: You are using a radius of 60 mm. The angular acceleration is not related to the linear acceleration by the radius of the smaller disk. It is the larger disk that is not slipping on the road surface. So the angular acceleration has to be related to linear acceleration by the 120 mm disk - not the 60 mm disk.
ma = mrα = (6 kg)(0.120 m)α = 38.86μ --> α = 38.86μ/((6 kg)(0.12 m)) = 53.972222222μ
T = -(0.12 m)(38.86μ) + (0.06 m)(20 N) = (0.0486 kg*m^2)(53.972222222μ)
-4.6632μ + 1.2 = 2.62305μ
1.2 = 7.28625μ
μ = 0.165

Does this match yours?

Yep, that's what I got.

TomHart said:
Yep, that's what I got.
It got marked right, thanks!

Likes TomHart

What is angular acceleration of cord problem?

The angular acceleration of cord problem is a physics problem that involves finding the rate of change of the angular velocity of a cord as it rotates around a fixed point.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the angular acceleration of cord problem?

The key concepts involved in solving this problem include understanding the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration, using the equations of motion for rotational motion, and applying the principles of centripetal force and torque.

How do you calculate the angular acceleration of a cord?

The angular acceleration of a cord can be calculated using the formula α = (ω2 - ω1)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ω1 and ω2 are the initial and final angular velocities, and t is the time interval.

What are some real-life applications of the angular acceleration of cord problem?

The angular acceleration of cord problem has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, robotics, and sports. It is used to analyze the motion of pendulums, swinging objects, and rotating objects like wheels and gears.

What are some tips for solving the angular acceleration of cord problem?

To solve this problem, it is essential to clearly identify and draw the diagram of the situation, label all given and unknown quantities, and use the appropriate equations and concepts. It is also helpful to double-check the units of all values and be careful with signs in calculations.