Find the Best Physics Books - Special Thanks to Micromass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
25 replies · 4K views
Emmanuel_Euler
Messages
142
Reaction score
11
(special thanks to micromass and everyone who helped me or answered my questions about calculus books).

now i need a book or books about Classical or modern or general physics.

any help??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I've already got the Douglas C. Giancoli 4th edition physics book, but I'm looking for something I can use for a reference that has more detail and goes more in-depth. If you know anything I'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 
Bullington said:
Hello, I've already got the Douglas C. Giancoli 4th edition physics book, but I'm looking for something I can use for a reference that has more detail and goes more in-depth. If you know anything I'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
merrill physics principles and problems goes into a lot of detail
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bullington and Emmanuel_Euler
Emmanuel_Euler said:
thanks.
friend if you really want to thank the replier you can like his reply.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Emmanuel_Euler
can you tell me about this textbook (physics for scientists and engineers 8th edition).
 
Last edited:
You can find these on the used market for a handful of dollars.

Intro to physics in general: French, "Newtonian Mechanics"
Mechanics: Kleppner & Kolenkov, "Introduction to Mechanics"
EM: Kip, "Fundamentals of electricity and magnetism"
Waves: French, "Vibrations and Waves"
All-in-one tome: Ohanian, "Physics", 2nd edition
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Emmanuel_Euler and Bullington
SredniVashtar said:
You can find these on the used market for a handful of dollars.

Intro to physics in general: French, "Newtonian Mechanics"
Mechanics: Kleppner & Kolenkov, "Introduction to Mechanics"
EM: Kip, "Fundamentals of electricity and magnetism"
Waves: French, "Vibrations and Waves"
All-in-one tome: Ohanian, "Physics", 2nd edition
thank you srednivashtar.
please can you tell me about this textbook (physics for scientists and engineers 8th edition)?
i want to find a good physics textbook for My cousin is is in college studying Physics.
 
SredniVashtar said:
You can find these on the used market for a handful of dollars.

Intro to physics in general: French, "Newtonian Mechanics"
Mechanics: Kleppner & Kolenkov, "Introduction to Mechanics"
EM: Kip, "Fundamentals of electricity and magnetism"
Waves: French, "Vibrations and Waves"
All-in-one tome: Ohanian, "Physics", 2nd edition

The problem is the OP does not yet know Calculus. Kleppner is requires at least calculus 2. Solid books I may add. My friends favorite book is French and Purcell tw.
 
I would suggest trying to learn calculus before you begin to do anything else.
 
PLEASE can anyone tell me which textbook is good? PLEASE. PLEASE .PLEASE
 
MidgetDwarf said:
The problem is the OP does not yet know Calculus. Kleppner is requires at least calculus 2. Solid books I may add. My friends favorite book is French and Purcell tw.

I was misled by the fact the the OP thanked other posters for their help with calculus books.
Physics without calculus? Ugh!
Well, French uses the minimum amount possible of calculus. Really, the bare minimum.

But in general, I believe it's simpler and more fruitful to learn calculus and then physics than trying to study physics without calculus. There's too much hoop jumping there.

BTW, I do like Purcell, but Kip has a more traditional approach, better suited IMHO for a beginner (also, you can buy it for less than ten bucks). Purcell can come after Kip (or equivalent text, even the EM part of Ohanian) and some basic introduction to special relativity.
But physics without calculus? Brrr... Makes my skin crawl.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: poseidon721
Emmanuel_Euler said:
PLEASE can anyone tell me which textbook is good? PLEASE. PLEASE .PLEASE
I love the Kleppner one. But IMHO none are good until you have a firm grasp on calculus. Personally when I started re-studying, I only concentrated on math. Otherwise it's like building a beautiful castle on a weak foundation. I'm not sure your motivation but if it's a future in physics concentrate on the calculus first.

On a side note my son did steal my book and I had to get another from Amazon because I'm OCD and that book had a spot on my shelf! I paid less than $20 with shipping. And despite him not having mastered calculus (he's 13) he seems to be enjoying my book.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: poseidon721, Emmanuel_Euler and lonely_nucleus
momof4 said:
I love the Kleppner one. But IMHO none are good until you have a firm grasp on calculus. Personally when I started re-studying, I only concentrated on math. Otherwise it's like building a beautiful castle on a weak foundation. I'm not sure your motivation but if it's a future in physics concentrate on the calculus first.

On a side note my son did steal my book and I had to get another from Amazon because I'm OCD and that book had a spot on my shelf! I paid less than $20 with shipping. And despite him not having mastered calculus (he's 13) he seems to be enjoying my book.
thank you for help.
 
lonely_nucleus said:
this one is supposed to be very good but it uses some calculus, it is very commonly used at univeristies
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321696867/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I bought that book:rolleyes:for myself.
really really helped me.again thank you my dear friend lonely nucleus,and all who helped me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can i find solution manual for university physics??
 
The most difficult lecture, I had to give ever was a "non-calculus physics lecture". Fortunately it was not for a whole semester but just as a substitute for a colleague for 2 or 3 sessions. If you ever had to explain what velocity and acceleration is and you are not allowed to use derivatives, you really appreciate the math very, very, very much!