Best physics and other science books

In summary, the conversation revolved around one person, Alex, seeking recommendations for reading material to help him on his journey to obtaining a Bachelor's degree in Electrotechnology with Computer Control. He mentioned needing a physics book, a math book, and an engineering or electrical engineering book. Other participants in the conversation provided suggestions for specific books, including "The Feynman Lectures on Physics - Millennium Edition," "What is mathematics?" by Courant and Robbins, and "Integrated Electronics" by Jacob Millman. They also recommended "Vibrations and Waves" by French and "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Alex ultimately purchased several books, including both science and science fiction titles, and questioned if he made the
FramedLink
Hey guys. I'm Alex and I'm a 26 year old guy who just entered into University to get my Bachelor's degree in Electrotechnology with Computer Control, after 25 years of doing completely nothing this is my last chance to achieve something that I want, so I'm exited.
But to the point, I live in Latvia and it doesn't have a great selection of science books(it has a couple of good ones tho), at least not as good as America's selection, and I've been blessed to understand the English language and this is a perfect time to use that blessing.
So I need some recommendations on the reading material that will help me in my Electrical engineering journey and I'm willing to put my money on it.

1. The way I see it a Physics book is a must, and I've been checking out the "The Feynman Lectures on Physics - Millennium Edition " which is a pretty hefty and expensive book but as I understand it's pretty good for anybody who want's to understand physics. Now, since this is only a "teaching" book I assume I also need a book that tests that knowledge, any suggestions on that?

2. The next thing, or the first really, is a good math book because I've learned in the first week that I need to know math to understand physics.

3. Like a good engineering or electrical engineering book that has a connection to my major, or something...

4. Any kind of good science book that you really enjoyed, would also love to hear that.

Any help is appreciated.
Also, in this University the quality of my education heavily depends on my efforts outside the University just so you know. And I am a beginner and know nothing about science.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I know that but sadly I never enjoyed reading from the PC, it's harder to focus for some reason, so all my books are made from trees...

Physics, I'll make it brief: get a (possibly used) copy of French "Newtonian Mechanics". Then find a used copy of Ohanian "Physics", the 2nd edition IMO is better than the other editions.

Math, I can't help you: all modern introductory calculus books I've seen in the last years (decades?) make me puke. I can suggest something to read on the side: "What is mathematics?" bu Courant and Robbins. You will find a reprint of the 1947 edition (with commentary by Ian Stewart). There is a reason if it is still in print. I wish I had read it many years ago.

Electronics... it's something modern, so, here's a 1972 book: "Integrated Electronics" by Jacob Millman. Millman wrote the same book in four different 'flavors', during the years but instead of using a different edition number, he changed the title: Electronic Devices (1967 - device oriented), "Integrated Electronics" (1972, analog oriented), "Electronic Fundamentals and Applications" (1976, circuit oriented - it's a much shorter version of the previous one) and Microelectronics (1979, 1988, digital oriented). Get at least one of them, you can find them for a few cents plus shipping. It is old. It uses somewhat unusual conventions. It is not up to date. But it is a must read.
Other more modern titles you can find in one of my latest answers in this very forum.
Like Yoda speaking, I am.

Good science reads in general? French's "Vibrations and Waves". You will come back here to thank me for bringing this jewel to your attention. "The art of electronics", now in its third edition. "Signals ans Systems" by Oppenheim and Schaefer or Wilsky, you can find it used for a fistful of rice (I bought the 2nd edition like new for 1 cent).

Oh, man. Let me stop here.

So I got impatient and bought 7 books that cost me 145.00 euros, which is allot of money for me, and everyone around me thinks I'm crazy now...
4 of these are science books, which are: Feynman Lectures on Physics: Mainly Mechanics, Radiation, and Heat v. 1., Feynman's Tips on Physics: Reflections, Advice, Insights, Practice., Exercises for the Feynman Lectures on Physics., Engineering Mathematics by KA. Stroud,.

3 are Sci Fi(couldn't resist...): Dune, Hyperion and Neuromancer.

And I still need 2 and 3 volume to complete the Feynman collection...
So did I screw up or will these do?

SredniVashtar said:
Physics, I'll make it brief: get a (possibly used) copy of French "Newtonian Mechanics". Then find a used copy of Ohanian "Physics", the 2nd edition IMO is better than the other editions.

Math, I can't help you: all modern introductory calculus books I've seen in the last years (decades?) make me puke. I can suggest something to read on the side: "What is mathematics?" bu Courant and Robbins. You will find a reprint of the 1947 edition (with commentary by Ian Stewart). There is a reason if it is still in print. I wish I had read it many years ago.

Electronics... it's something modern, so, here's a 1972 book: "Integrated Electronics" by Jacob Millman. Millman wrote the same book in four different 'flavors', during the years but instead of using a different edition number, he changed the title: Electronic Devices (1967 - device oriented), "Integrated Electronics" (1972, analog oriented), "Electronic Fundamentals and Applications" (1976, circuit oriented - it's a much shorter version of the previous one) and Microelectronics (1979, 1988, digital oriented). Get at least one of them, you can find them for a few cents plus shipping. It is old. It uses somewhat unusual conventions. It is not up to date. But it is a must read.
Other more modern titles you can find in one of my latest answers in this very forum.
Like Yoda speaking, I am.

Good science reads in general? French's "Vibrations and Waves". You will come back here to thank me for bringing this jewel to your attention. "The art of electronics", now in its third edition. "Signals ans Systems" by Oppenheim and Schaefer or Wilsky, you can find it used for a fistful of rice (I bought the 2nd edition like new for 1 cent).

Oh, man. Let me stop here.

I'll definitely check them out, and probably get one when I order Feynman's second and third volumes. What about chemistry?

For chemistry I can only speak of my tastes.

Atkins and Jones, "Chemical Principles, the quest for insight", to begin with
Oxtoby, "Chemical Principles" as a less colorful textbook
McQuarrie, Simon, "Physical Chemistry, a molecular approach" to build a bridge between chemistry and quantum physics.

What are the top recommended physics and other science books?

The top recommended physics and other science books vary depending on personal interests and level of knowledge. Some popular options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.

What is the best book for beginners in physics?

For beginners in physics, "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser is a highly recommended book. It covers fundamental concepts in an easy-to-understand manner and includes plenty of practice problems to reinforce learning.

Are there any books that combine physics with other scientific fields?

Yes, there are many books that combine physics with other scientific fields, such as "The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, which explores the intersection of physics, mathematics, and philosophy.

What is the most comprehensive book on physics?

The most comprehensive book on physics is "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker. It covers a wide range of topics and includes numerous examples and exercises to aid understanding.

Are there any physics books that are written for a general audience?

Yes, there are many popular science books that make complex physics concepts accessible to a general audience. Some examples include "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli and "Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli.