Find the charge on a piece of dust

• Thread starter brownca31089
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Dust
In summary, the conversation discusses a small dust particle with a mass of 1.6 g traveling through an electric air cleaner with an electric field of 511 N/C. The electric force on the particle is equal to its weight. The goal is to find the charge on the dust particle and determine how many excess electrons that corresponds to. The conversation also touches on the concepts of mass and force and the relationship between the two. The expert advises to pay attention to the two forces involved and their magnitudes.
brownca31089

Homework Statement

A small piece of dust of mass m = 1.6 g travels horizontally through an electric air cleaner in which the electric field is 511 N/C. The electric force on the particle is equal to the weight of the particle.
What is the charge on the dust particle?
If this charge is provided by an excess of electrons, how many electrons does that correspond to?

Homework Equations

I know i have to solve for q and that my mass is the same as my force..but i have no idea where to even start. any help is appreciated!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass is not force.

Two forces involved here. Name them and compare their magnitudes (sizes).

well the reason why i think the mass and force are equal is because it said so in the problem.

No it did not.

Read it again. You seem to be making a fundamental error in a specific concept.

is there any way you can help me set it up? if i can get a beginning equation down i can do the rest of it.

Look at my first reply and answer the questions I asked.

I'll repeat, there are two forces involved (mass is still not a force; here on earth, what do you multiply mass with to get a force, and what is that force commonly known as?)

1. How can you measure the charge on a piece of dust?

The charge on a piece of dust can be measured using an instrument called an electroscope. This device uses the principle of electrostatic induction to detect the presence and magnitude of an electric charge on an object.

2. What factors can affect the charge on a piece of dust?

The charge on a piece of dust can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material the dust is made of, the surrounding environment, and any nearby sources of electric fields or radiation.

3. Can a piece of dust have both positive and negative charges?

Yes, a piece of dust can have both positive and negative charges. This is known as an electric dipole and occurs when the dust is made up of particles with different charges. The overall charge of the dust is determined by the difference in magnitude between the positive and negative charges.

4. How does the charge on a piece of dust impact its behavior?

The charge on a piece of dust can impact its behavior in several ways. Charged particles can be attracted or repelled by other charged objects, resulting in the dust being pulled towards or pushed away from its surroundings. The amount and type of charge can also affect the dust's ability to stick to surfaces or form clumps with other particles.

5. Can the charge on a piece of dust change over time?

Yes, the charge on a piece of dust can change over time. This can occur through processes such as contact electrification, where the dust rubs against another surface and transfers charge, or through exposure to external sources of electric fields or radiation. The charge on a piece of dust can also dissipate over time due to factors like humidity or air flow.