Charge for a Grain of Dust on the Moon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter m00nbeam360
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Dust Moon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
m00nbeam360
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How much charge in Coulombs is required to levitate a motionless grain of dust 10 cm above the surface of the moon? Assume the dust grain is a point mass with mg = 1*10^-9g. The gravitational acceleration at the surface of the moon is 1.6m/s^2. Assume charge on the surface of the moon acts as a point source beneath the grain equal in charge to the grain itself.


Homework Equations


E = F/q0, a = (q0/m)*E, e = 1.60*10^-19 C, E = 8.988*10^9 N*m^2/C^2


The Attempt at a Solution


Any help would be greatly appreciated! I figured that the first step is to find the variables known, so the acceleration is 1.6m/s^2 = (q0/(1*10^-9g))*(8.988*10^9), so would I just need to solve for q0? Thanks so much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free-body diagram for the grain of dust - what are the forces acting on it?
 
Would there only be one force against it towards the surface of the moon? Or is there also one from the moon pointing towards the grain?
 
What about if I used the equation Fnet = m * a, which would be 1.6*10^-9?
 
What about if I used the equation Fnet = m * a, which would be 1.6*10^-9?
That statement is meaningless.
However - if the dust thingy is levitating, doesn't that mean the net force on it is zero?
 
Sure, so if the net force is zero, then would I need an equation using the acceleration? Thanks for your help.
 
Have you drawn the free body diagram?
Have you identified the different forces on the dust?