1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge for a Grain of Dust on the Moon?

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much charge in Coulombs is required to levitate a motionless grain of dust 10 cm above the surface of the moon? Assume the dust grain is a point mass with mg = 1*10^-9g. The gravitational acceleration at the surface of the moon is 1.6m/s^2. Assume charge on the surface of the moon acts as a point source beneath the grain equal in charge to the grain itself.

2. Relevant equations
    E = F/q0, a = (q0/m)*E, e = 1.60*10^-19 C, E = 8.988*10^9 N*m^2/C^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I figured that the first step is to find the variables known, so the acceleration is 1.6m/s^2 = (q0/(1*10^-9g))*(8.988*10^9), so would I just need to solve for q0? Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Draw a free-body diagram for the grain of dust - what are the forces acting on it?

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    Would there only be one force against it towards the surface of the moon? Or is there also one from the moon pointing towards the grain?

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4
    What about if I used the equation Fnet = m * a, which would be 1.6*10^-9?

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That statement is meaningless.
    However - if the dust thingy is levitating, doesn't that mean the net force on it is zero?

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6
    Sure, so if the net force is zero, then would I need an equation using the acceleration? Thanks for your help.

8. Feb 20, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you drawn the free body diagram?
    Have you identified the different forces on the dust?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook