1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the coefficient of kinetic friction?

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A catcher “gives” with a baseball when catch-
    ing it.
    If the baseball exerts a force of 466 N on the
    glove such that the glove is displaced 11.6 cm,
    how much work is done by the ball? Answer
    in units of J.
    (I got this answer and it is 54.056)

Find the coefficient of kinetic friction be-
    tween the flight bag and the floor.

2. Relevant equations
    Thats what i don't know.......

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to do

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

AEM

Gold Member

There seems to be something missing in your statement of the problem(s). Is the glove sitting on a flight bag and the bag and glove slide? Is the glove being held by a person?

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    I just copied and pasted the problem off of online. That is all that is says.. It does say "Find the work done by the force of friction on the flight bag. Answer in units of J." But i found that answer being -5285.02.... I don't think thats important though..

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4

AEM

Gold Member

I'm curious, do you have the mass of the flight bag? Was the flight bag caused to move by the baseball? I'm not being silly. As stated above, you can't find the coefficient of friction. To tell you the truth I have no idea where you came up with the work done by the force of friction: -5285 J.

6. Jan 26, 2009 #5
    Well it is a online assignment and we have to submit the answers in the answer blank. Not that i look at it though i have no idea where i got -5285 from but it was right.. I know there is an answer to it because some of my friends worked with the teacher and got the answer but they don't know how to help me answer it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?