Find the Correct Derivative of f(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter fghtffyrdmns
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
fghtffyrdmns
Messages
145
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I promise this will be my last one :p

For this function: [tex]f(x)=-4x^{3}+\frac{3}{x}+\sqrt{x}-2[/tex]
What would be the derivative using the power rule?


Homework Equations



[tex]f(x)=-4x^{3}+\frac{3}{x}+\sqrt{x}-2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]f'(x)=-12x^{2}-3x^{-2}-\frac{\sqrt{x}}{2}[/tex]

However, this is wrong. Why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{x} = x^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Use the power rule and subtract one from that exponent.
 
[tex]f'(x)=-12x^{2}-3x^{-2}+\frac{1}{2x^{1/2}}[/tex]

1/2 - 1 = -1/2
 
The exponent is -1/2, but that term should be positive.
 
tara123 said:
derivative of x^1/2 = 1/2 x^(-1/2)

Could that be written as [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex]?
 
Bohrok said:
The exponent is -1/2, but that term should be positive.

[tex]f'(x)=-12x^{2}-3x^{-2}+\frac{1}{2x^{1/2}}[/tex]

Like this?
 
Yes, that's right. Didn't see your other post with the correct answer.
 
Bohrok said:
Yes, that's right. Didn't see your other post with the correct answer.

I edited it :D
I was just wondering because the book has a much different answer :/