Can't Find a Correct Method to Integrate \int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt?

KungPeng Zhou
Homework Statement
\int x^{2}\sqrt{2+x}dx
Relevant Equations
The Substitution Rule,
Table of Indefinite Integrals
When I encountereD this kind of question before.For example
\int x\sqrt{2+x^{2}}dx
We make the Substitution t=x^{2}+2,because its differential is dt=2xdx,so we get \int x\sqrt{2+x^{2}}=1/2\int\sqrt{t}dt,then we can get the answer easily
But the question,it seems that I can't use the way to solve the question.I can't find a correct commutation method.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try putting ##[tex]## at head and ##[/tex]## at tail of your math code to show it properly.

Last edited:
Sorry,but I can't understand you.Could you please tell how to show my math code properly?Now I just can use these math code.

KungPeng Zhou said:
Homework Statement: [itex]\int x^{2}\sqrt{2+x}\,dx[/itex]
Relevant Equations: The Substitution Rule,

[tex]\int x\sqrt{2+x^{2}}\,dx[/tex]
We make the Substitution [itex]t=x^{2}+2[/itex],because its differential is [itex]dt=2xdx[/tex],so we get [tex]\int x\sqrt{2+x^{2}}\,dx =\frac12 \int\sqrt{t}\,dt,[/tex] then we can get the answer easily
But the question,it seems that I can't use the way to solve the question.I can't find a correct commutation method.

Did you consider [itex]t = x + 2[/itex], [itex]dx = dt[/itex]?

KungPeng Zhou said:
Sorry,but I can't understand you.Could you please tell how to show my math code properly?Now I just can use these math code.
1693222343057.png

Example for \frac{\pi}{2}
##\frac{\pi}{2}##
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Why don't you try these two ways for Latex in your post ?

KungPeng Zhou said:
Look at https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/.
KungPeng Zhou said:
Homework Statement: ##\int x^{2}\sqrt{2+x}dx##
Relevant Equations: The Substitution Rule,

##\int x\sqrt{2+x^{2}}dx##
We make the Substitution ##t=x^{2}+2##,because its differential is ##dt=2xdx##,so we get ##\int x\sqrt{2+x^{2}}=1/2\int\sqrt{t}dt##,then we can get the answer easily
I'm not quite sure what you actually want to know. The LaTeX issue is addressed above and in the link.

The integral works as follows and is explained here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/substitution-in-a-definite-integral.1054611/#post-6919864

pasmith said:
Did you consider [itex]t = x + 2[/itex], [itex]dx = dt[/itex]?
Ithe seems that we still can't solve it with this way...

KungPeng Zhou said:
Ithe seems that we still can't solve it with this way...

You can't integrate [itex]\int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt = \int t^{5/2} - 4t^{3/2} + 4t^{1/2}\,dt[/itex]?

Likes KungPeng Zhou
pasmith said:
You can't integrate [itex]\int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt = \int t^{5/2} - 4t^{3/2} + 4t^{1/2}\,dt[/itex]?
Yes,you are right.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the correct method to integrate \int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt?

The correct method to integrate this expression is through the use of the substitution method. This involves substituting a new variable for the expression inside the square root and then solving the integral using standard techniques.

2. Can I use the power rule to integrate \int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt?

No, the power rule cannot be used to integrate this expression as it is not in the form of x^n. The substitution method must be used instead.

3. Is there a shortcut to integrate \int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut or formula that can be used to integrate this expression. The substitution method is the most efficient and accurate way to solve this integral.

4. Can I use integration by parts to solve \int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt?

Yes, integration by parts can also be used to solve this integral. However, it may be more complicated and time-consuming compared to the substitution method.

5. Is there a specific substitution that should be used for \int (t - 2)^2\sqrt{t}\,dt?

There is no specific substitution that must be used for this integral. However, a common substitution is u = t - 2, which simplifies the expression to \int u^2\sqrt{u + 2}\,du.