Find the critical points of (x^2+y^2-4)(x+y) and their nature

In summary, the student is trying to find the critical points of a function and its nature. However, he is having trouble solving the problem analytically and would like to understand how it is done. He has tried to eliminate a variable and found that it is not possible due to the 2xy term. Another solution would be to write the ellipses in a parametric form, but this he feels would be overly complicated. He has also tried to find the intersections of the ellipses but is having trouble doing so.
rbnvrw
Hi,

I am studying for my Analysis final and came across this problem I just can't get my head around:

Homework Statement

Find the critical points of [itex]f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2-4)(x+y)[/itex] and their nature.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{\nabla} f(x,y) = \vec{0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x} = 3x^2+2xy+y^2-4 = 0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y} = 3y^2+2xy+x^2-4 = 0[/itex]
These are both ellipses with center (0,0) and angles [itex]\frac{5\pi}{8}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi}{8}[/itex] respectively.
According to Wolfram Alpha, there are four intersection points. (Click here to view) However, I need to solve this problem analytically and I wish to understand how it is done.
I have tried to eliminate a variable from the equations, but it is not possible due to the [itex]2xy[/itex] term. Another solution would be to write the ellipses in a parametric form, but this I feel would be overly complicated.

Could anyone please shed some light on this?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
rbnvrw said:
Hi,

I am studying for my Analysis final and came across this problem I just can't get my head around:

Homework Statement

Find the critical points of [itex]f(x,y) = (x^2+y^2-4)(x+y)[/itex] and their nature.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{\nabla} f(x,y) = \vec{0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x} = 3x^2+2xy+y^2-4 = 0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y} = 3y^2+2xy+x^2-4 = 0[/itex]
The first thing I would do is subtract one equation from the other to get
[tex]3(x^2- y^2)+ (y^2- x^2)= 2(x^2- y^2)= 0[/tex]
so that either y= x or y= -x.

These are both ellipses with center (0,0) and angles [itex]\frac{5\pi}{8}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi}{8}[/itex] respectively.
According to Wolfram Alpha, there are four intersection points. (Click here to view) However, I need to solve this problem analytically and I wish to understand how it is done.
I have tried to eliminate a variable from the equations, but it is not possible due to the [itex]2xy[/itex] term. Another solution would be to write the ellipses in a parametric form, but this I feel would be overly complicated.

Could anyone please shed some light on this?
Thanks in advance!

Subtract the second equation from the first one and factorise.

ehild

Thanks for your advice.
However, this doesn't give me the four points of intersection. If I take the solutions [itex]y=\pm x[/itex], I get the solutions [itex] (0,0) \wedge (\pm \sqrt{2},\pm \sqrt{2})[/itex].
However, the points [itex] (\pm \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}},\pm \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}})[/itex] are also solutions of the equation. And the point [itex](0,0)[/itex] is not a solution at all.
How would I get the other two points?
Thanks in advance!

Your values are not correct. Give the solutions as pairs.
(√2, √2) is not a solution, but (√2, -√2) is.
(0,0) is not a solution. How did you get it? If you substitute x=y into one of the original equation, you will get the pair with √(2/3)

ehild

Last edited:
I got this:
[itex]y = \pm x[/itex]
[itex](x^2+x^2-4)(x+x)=0[/itex]
[itex]x(x^2-2)=0[/itex]
[itex]x = 0 \vee x=\pm \sqrt{2}[/itex]
According to the solutions manual, which only states the values, not the method, the solutions are:
[itex]x = \pm \sqrt{2} \vee x = \pm \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}[/itex]

Oops... I see it now. I used f(x,y) instead of the partial derivatives.
I will try again!

Yes! I got it!
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! :D

You see, it was worth to write it again...:smile:

ehild

1. What are critical points?

Critical points are points on a graph where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. They are important because they can tell us about the behavior of a function and where it reaches its maximum or minimum values.

2. How do you find the critical points of a function?

To find the critical points of a function, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the values of x and y that make the derivative equal to zero or undefined. These values will be the critical points of the function.

3. What is the nature of a critical point?

The nature of a critical point can be determined by looking at the second derivative of the function at that point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the nature of the critical point is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

4. How do you determine the nature of a critical point?

To determine the nature of a critical point, you need to evaluate the second derivative of the function at that point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the nature of the critical point is inconclusive and further analysis is needed.

5. How many critical points can a function have?

A function can have multiple critical points, depending on the complexity of the function. For example, a polynomial function of degree n can have up to n-1 critical points. However, some functions may not have any critical points at all.