Find the current in the copper wire

In summary, the wire has a current running through it defined by J=ar and the potential difference V must be applied between the ends of the wire in order to generate the desired current.
Maiq

Homework Statement

a) What is the current contained in the cylindrical shell of wire defined by R/2<r<R?

b) What is the total current running through the wire?

c) Given your answer to (b) what potential difference V must be applied between the ends of the wire?

Homework Equations

J=ar
i=JA
A=[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex]
R=ρL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I found the area of the shell by subtracting the area of two circles with radius R and R/2. I then used that to find the current using equations i=JA and J=aR/2. For part b i did the same thing except used A=[itex]\pi[/itex]r[itex]^{2}[/itex] for the area and J=aR. As for part c I found the resistance using the equation R=ρL/A with ρ=1.68x10[itex]^{-8}[/itex] Ωm and the area the same as from part a. Then I used the answer for b with ohm's law to get the voltage. A classmate of mine did this problem differently and had different answers for part a and c (b was the same).

Attachments

• hwquiz7.pdf
    388.5 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You realize you need to do some integrations here.

Well my classmate used integrations for his and like I said we had the same answer for b but for a our answers were different by a multiply of two. At the time I hadn't completed c so i couldn't compare those answers.

Maiq said:
Well my classmate used integrations for his and like I said we had the same answer for b but for a our answers were different by a multiply of two. At the time I hadn't completed c so i couldn't compare those answers.

The important thing is not to get the right answer, it's to understand what to do. You need to integrate. If you got the right answer without integrating you just lucked out.

Maiq said:
I then used that to find the current using equations i=JA and J=aR/2.
J=aR/2 gives the current density only at r=R/2, the least of the range of values for J. And it won't help to take the average of aR/2 and aR, because there's more area outside 3a/4 than inside 3a/4. This is why you need integration.

Alright I reworked part a using integration and checked the professors solution and I got it right. I see now why my answer was wrong thanks a lot for the help guys.

What is the purpose of finding the current in a copper wire?

The purpose of finding the current in a copper wire is to determine the flow of electric charge through the wire. This information is important in understanding how much electricity is being used and how much power is being delivered to a specific device or circuit.

How is the current in a copper wire measured?

The current in a copper wire is measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current. The ammeter is connected in series with the copper wire, allowing it to measure the amount of current passing through the wire.

What factors affect the current in a copper wire?

The current in a copper wire can be affected by several factors, including the voltage applied to the wire, the resistance of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the current flowing through the wire.

Why is copper often used as a conductor for electric current?

Copper is a popular choice for conducting electric current because it has a low resistance, meaning that it allows electricity to flow through it easily. It is also a relatively inexpensive and abundant material, making it a cost-effective option for many applications.

How does the current in a copper wire affect the wire itself?

The current in a copper wire can generate heat, which can cause the wire to expand and contract. This can lead to wear and tear on the wire over time, potentially causing it to break or fail. Additionally, a high current can also cause the wire to overheat and potentially cause a fire, which is why it is important to properly size and handle copper wires when dealing with high currents.