Find the de Broglie wavelength of an electron

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Reshma
Messages
749
Reaction score
6
Find the de Broglie wavelength of an electron with KE:
a]10eV
b]1KeV
c]1MeV
d]100MeV

Formulae:
Relativistic
[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{{(E/c)}^2 - m_0^2c^4}}[/tex]

Non-relativistic
[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2mE}}[/tex]

I am wondering for which case(s) should I apply the relativistic or the non-relativistic equation given that the BE of electron is 0.511MeV.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The nonrelativistic approximation is generally good enough until the KE is about 5 or 10% of the rest energy.
 
Reshma said:
Find the de Broglie wavelength of an electron with KE:
a]10eV
b]1KeV
c]1MeV
d]100MeV

Formulae:
Relativistic
[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{{(E/c)}^2 - m_0^2c^4}}[/tex]

Non-relativistic
[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2mE}}[/tex]

I am wondering for which case(s) should I apply the relativistic or the non-relativistic equation given that the BE of electron is 0.511MeV.
If the energy of the electron is much less than this, the electron is non-relativistic. Otherwise use the relativistic formula.

AM
 
Last edited: