Find the distance from the mirrors for 4 reflections

In summary, the two plain mirrors are placed 20 cm apart and a light source is placed 5 cm away from one of the mirrors. The distance from the mirrors of the first four reflections is 10 cm.
annalian

Homework Statement

Two plain mirrors are put parallelly and 20 cm from each other. A source of light is put between the mirrors, 5 cm away from one. Find the distance from the mirrors of 4 first reflections.

Homework Equations

a1=a2 The distance of the object from the mirror and the reflection from the mirror is equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s32.postimg.org/507dau85h/image.png
is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know what a "first reflection" is but I'm not sure how you can have four of them in this situation. I think two are first reflections and two are second reflections. Check the distance for the one I marked incorrect.

image.png

CWatters said:
I know what a "first reflection" is but I'm not sure how you can have four of them in this situation. I think two are first reflections and two are second reflections. Check the distance for the one I marked incorrect.

View attachment 100962
5 should be replaced with 10. Am I right?

Yes.

Likes annalian

1. How do you calculate the distance from mirrors for 4 reflections?

The distance from mirrors for 4 reflections can be calculated using the formula d = (2n-1) x L, where d is the distance, n is the number of reflections, and L is the distance between the mirrors.

2. What is the significance of finding the distance from mirrors for 4 reflections?

Knowing the distance from mirrors for 4 reflections can help determine the path of light and the number of reflections that occur before reaching a certain point. This information is useful in various optical applications and experiments.

3. How do you measure the distance between mirrors for 4 reflections?

The distance between mirrors for 4 reflections can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place one end of the ruler at the point where the light enters the first mirror and measure the distance to the point where the light exits the fourth mirror.

4. Can the distance from mirrors for 4 reflections be greater than the distance between the mirrors?

No, the distance from mirrors for 4 reflections cannot be greater than the distance between the mirrors. This is because each reflection reduces the distance traveled by the light by a factor of 2.

5. How does the number of reflections affect the distance from mirrors?

The distance from mirrors increases with the number of reflections. This is because each reflection adds to the total distance traveled by the light. For example, the distance from mirrors for 4 reflections will be twice the distance from mirrors for 2 reflections.