Find the drift speed of of the electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of potential and resistance to find the value of I, as well as the calculation of volume and drift speed using cross-sectional area and charge. There is a discrepancy in units between the number density of electrons and the elementary charge, but this can be accounted for using a constant factor of e.
r-swald
Homework Statement
A solid, conductive, rectangular block with a resistance of 150 Ohm's has a cross-sectional area of .11m across it's width and a length of .2m. The block contains 1.2x10^19 conductive electrons, and a connected battery creates a 25v potential.
Relevant Equations
I = qVnA
I = V / R
n = # conductive electrons / m^3
I've found I to be .167 using the potential and resistance.

I also found the volume by multiplying the cross-sectional area by the length (?) and then dividing the # of conducting electrons into that to find packing density (n).

To find drift speed, I would also need the area of the block as well as the charge. I'm not sure wether the block is equal in it's height and width to use .11/2 to find those to use in the area equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a cross-section of the block at some point along its length. We'll assume that the charge carriers "drift" as one homogenous medium of charge with ##n = 1.2 \times 10^{19}## electrons per cubic metre, at a drift velocity of ##v_d##.

In a time ##\delta t##, the charge will have advanced ##v_d \delta t##. So if we multiply this by the cross sectional area, we obtain the total volume of this charge-filled medium that has passed through our cross section, namely ##V = Av_d \delta t##. It follows that the total charge that has passed through our cross section is ##Q = neAv_d \delta t##, since ##ne## is just the charge per unit volume.

But remember, current is defined as the rate of flow of charge past a given point in the circuit (in this case, through our cross sectional surface!). So ##I = \frac{neAv_d \delta t}{\delta t} = neAv_d##. This was the equation you gave in your relevant formulae section, and is in fact all you need to solve the question from what you have already worked out.

Can you rearrange that equation for ##v_d##?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman and r-swald
etotheipi said:
Consider a cross-section of the block at some point along its length. We'll assume that the charge carriers "drift" as one homogenous medium of charge with ##n = 1.2 \times 10^{19}## electrons per cubic metre, at a drift velocity of ##v_d##.

In a time ##\delta t##, the charge will have advanced ##v_d \delta t##. So if we multiply this by the cross sectional area, we obtain the total volume of this charge-filled medium that has passed through our cross section, namely ##V = Av_d \delta t##. It follows that the total charge that has passed through our cross section is ##Q = neAv_d \delta t##, since ##ne## is just the charge per unit volume.

But remember, current is defined as the rate of flow of charge past a given point in the circuit (in this case, through our cross sectional surface!). So ##I = \frac{neAv_d}{\delta t} = neAv_d##. This was the equation you gave in your relevant formulae section, and is in fact all you need to solve the question from what you have already worked out.

Can you rearrange that equation for ##v_d##?

Ok, so Vd = I / nA
is there a difference between n and ne?

I'm still not sure how to find the area to plug into this equation

r-swald said:
Ok, so Vd = I / nA
is there a difference between n and ne?
Yes. A factor of ##e##. It should be ##v_d = \frac{I}{neA}##.
r-swald said:
I'm still not sure how to find the area to plug into this equation
Which area makes the most sense? I.e. which one did I use in the derivation :wink:?

etotheipi said:
Yes. A factor of ##e##. It should be ##v_d = \frac{I}{neA}##.

Which area makes the most sense? I.e. which one did I use in the derivation :wink:?

I don't get it. Ok so I'm trying to find the drift speed of the electrons, I use this by dividing current (.167) by ne • A. You used cross-sectional area in your derivation so I'd use that, but I'm not sure what the factor of e is so I tried the packing density I found by dividing the "n" you used by volume (.022)

Vd = .167 / 5.45e20 • .11
= 2.79x10^-21

Not sure what I'm missing here, my professor didn't explain this one well

r-swald said:
You used cross-sectional area in your derivation so I'd use that,

This is correct. As for the other part,

##n## is the number density of electrons, the number of electrons in one cubic metre. This varies in different materials. ##e## is the elementary charge, ##1.6\times 10^{-10} C##.

Now ##n## has units of per cubic metre, and ##e## has units of charge. ##ne## has units of charge per cubic metre, ##C m^{-3}##! It follows that ##ne## times the volume is the total charge.

It's just a constant.

Likes r-swald
There is a dimensional error in your statement of the problem...please identify it. And can we require units on the calculations please...

Likes berkeman
etotheipi said:
This is correct. As for the other part,

##n## is the number density of electrons, the number of electrons in one cubic metre. This varies in different materials. ##e## is the elementary charge, ##1.6\times 10^{-10} C##.

Now ##n## has units of per cubic metre, and ##e## has units of charge. ##ne## has units of charge per cubic metre, ##C m^{-3}##! It follows that ##ne## times the volume is the total charge.

It's just a constant.

1.6x10^-19? I used that number and it worked. I was also using the wrong number for n, it was given as the total number of charged particles within the block and then divided by the volume was the n I was looking for. I'd also converted cm to m incorrectly, but it all worked out in the end :) thanks for the help! those equations were super helpful

1. What is drift speed?

Drift speed is the average velocity at which electrons move in a conductor when an electric field is applied.

2. How is drift speed calculated?

Drift speed can be calculated by dividing the current in the conductor by the total charge of the electrons and the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

3. What factors affect the drift speed of electrons?

The drift speed of electrons can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the material of the conductor, and the temperature of the conductor.

4. Why is drift speed important in electrical circuits?

Drift speed is important because it determines the rate at which electrons move through a conductor, which affects the flow of current and the functioning of electrical circuits.

5. Can the drift speed of electrons be measured?

Yes, the drift speed of electrons can be measured using various techniques such as the Hall effect, where the deflection of electrons in a magnetic field is used to calculate their drift speed.