Finding the electron drift speed

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average drift speed of electrons in a piece of n-type germanium, given its dimensions and the current flowing through it. The homework equations I=nAve is used to solve the problem, but the attempt at a solution is incorrect due to the assumption of the piece being a circular wire instead of a cuboid. The correct answer is 31 meters per second.
MBBphys
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A piece of n-type germanium is 2.0mm wide and 0.25 mm thick. At a certain temperature, the number of conduction electrons per cubic metre is 6 x 1020 m-3. What is the average drift speed of the electrons when a current of 1.5 mA flows? (e=1.6 x 10-19

Homework Equations

I=nAve

The Attempt at a Solution

So I converted all the units to SI base.

1.5/1000 = 6 x 1020 x (0.125/1000)2 x pi x 1.6 x 10-19 x v

v = 318.309...

v=318 metres per second (3sf)

But the answer booklet gives 31 metres per second. Am I wrong or is it wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are wrong. I got 31m. Where did 0.125 and pi come from? I don't see any circles in the problem statement. It has a thickness and a width --- that sounds like a rectangular prism.

Ah, right, so I have to do [(2/1000)*(0.25/1000)] rather than use pi, because it is a cuboid and not a circular piece of wire? I think because I usually do questions based on copper wires that are circular, I assumed the same here, but clearly that is wrong!

Thank you

1. What is electron drift speed?

Electron drift speed is the average velocity at which electrons move through a conductor in an electric current.

2. How is electron drift speed measured?

Electron drift speed can be measured through various methods, such as using a voltmeter or an oscilloscope to measure the voltage and current in the circuit and then calculating the drift speed using the formula: drift speed = current/ (cross-sectional area of the conductor x charge density of electrons).

3. What factors affect electron drift speed?

Electron drift speed is affected by the strength of the electric field, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, the type of material the conductor is made of, and the temperature of the conductor.

4. Why is it important to understand electron drift speed?

Understanding electron drift speed is crucial in many applications, such as designing electrical circuits, optimizing the efficiency of electronic devices, and studying the behavior of materials under different electric fields.

5. How does electron drift speed differ from electron velocity?

Electron drift speed refers to the average velocity of all the electrons in a conductor, while electron velocity refers to the speed of individual electrons within the conductor. Electron drift speed is much slower than electron velocity due to collisions with atoms and other electrons in the conductor.