1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the electron drift speed

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1

MBBphys

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A piece of n-type germanium is 2.0mm wide and 0.25 mm thick. At a certain temperature, the number of conduction electrons per cubic metre is 6 x 1020 m-3. What is the average drift speed of the electrons when a current of 1.5 mA flows? (e=1.6 x 10-19

2. Relevant equations
    I=nAve

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I converted all the units to SI base.

1.5/1000 = 6 x 1020 x (0.125/1000)2 x pi x 1.6 x 10-19 x v

v = 318.309...

v=318 metres per second (3sf)

But the answer booklet gives 31 metres per second. Am I wrong or is it wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2
    You are wrong. I got 31m. Where did 0.125 and pi come from? I don't see any circles in the problem statement. It has a thickness and a width --- that sounds like a rectangular prism.

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

MBBphys

Gold Member

Ah, right, so I have to do [(2/1000)*(0.25/1000)] rather than use pi, because it is a cuboid and not a circular piece of wire? I think because I usually do questions based on copper wires that are circular, I assumed the same here, but clearly that is wrong!

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted