Find the eigenvalues of this endomorphism of R[X]

  • Thread starter Thread starter penguin007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eigenvalues
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
penguin007
Messages
75
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



f is an endomorphism of Rn[X]
f(P)(X)=((aX+b)P)'

eigenvalues of f?

Homework Equations



(a,b)<>(0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution



If a=0, then f(P)=bP', and only P=constant is solution

if a<>0, then I put Q=(ax+b)P, f(P)=cP is equivalent to (ax+b)Q'=Q (E)

I solved (E) and found Q(X)=(aX+b)^c but then if I say P(X)=(aX+b)^(c-1), I can't find c...
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Is f(P)=(aX+b)P' or [(aX+b)P]'? You wrote it both ways.
 


Sorry, I misread your initial post. I see what you did now. Your solution for Q(X) should be [itex]Q(X)=(aX+b)^{c/a}[/itex] so [itex]P(X)=(aX+b)^{c/a-1}[/itex]. Do you see now what values c can be?
 


Thanks a lot vela, I mistook when I solved (E)... Now I can see the values for c (s.t c/a-1 is integer and therefore P is a polynom)...