Find F(x) given X and Y values

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary: I got $$F(x)=891.445 \cos(x) + 2752.35 \cos(2 x) + 544.52 \cos(3 x) - 2570.62 \cos(4 x) - 1612.7 \cos(5 x).$$One can always fit ##N## data points to any model with ##N## adjustable parameters. See plot below showing the degree 4 polynomial (blue), the sinusoidal superposition (brown) and ##F(x)=5\times 4^x## (green). All three lines pass through the data points exactly. The simpler model is the exponential and we must choose it by applying Occam's razor.
Drakkith
Mentor
Homework Statement
Find the function F(x) given the X and Y values in the table.
Relevant Equations
F(0) = 5
F(1) = 20
F(2) = 80
F(3) = 320
F(4) = 1280
Hey folks. I'm trying to help my daughter (9th grade) with a homework problem and I'm not sure how to go about finding the answer.
Given the values in the table, find the function F(x).

It's not a linear equation, so it can't be of the form ##F(x)=ax+b##.
I thought it might be ##F(x)=15x^z+5##, where ##z## is some exponent, but that doesn't seem to work either.
I noticed that the increase of the Y values increases by a factor of 4 each time (by 15 then 60 then 240 then 960), but I don't know how to write an equation that does that.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$F(x)=5.4^x$$

Likes troglodyte
Math_QED said:
$$F(x)=5.4^x$$

Sorry, that doesn't seem to work with our given values. And I don't think my daughter has done exponential functions yet in math.

Drakkith said:
Sorry, that doesn't seem to work with our given values. And I don't think my daughter has done exponential functions yet in math.

It does work... You can always fit a fifth degree polynomial but I doubt that's what is intended.

Drakkith said:
Homework Statement:: Find the function F(x) given the X and Y values in the table.
Relevant Equations:: F(0) = 5
F(1) = 20
F(2) = 80
F(3) = 320
F(4) = 1280

Hey folks. I'm trying to help my daughter (9th grade) with a homework problem and I'm not sure how to go about finding the answer.
Given the values in the table, find the function F(x).

It's not a linear equation, so it can't be of the form ##F(x)=ax+b##.
I thought it might be ##F(x)=15x^z+5##, where ##z## is some exponent, but that doesn't seem to work either.
I noticed that the increase of the Y values increases by a factor of 4 each time (by 15 then 60 then 240 then 960), but I don't know how to write an equation that does that.
Any ideas?
Every number is four times the previous. Noticing that should help.

Likes Delta2 and SammyS
Math_QED said:
$$F(x)=5.4^x$$
@Drakkith

Rewriting what QED wrote:

F(x) = 5 ⋅ (4x ) .

Likes jim mcnamara, Delta2, hmmm27 and 2 others
SammyS said:
@Drakkith

F(x) = 5 ⋅ (4x ) .

Oh, is that ##5*4^x##? I thought it was 5.4 to the ##X##.

PeroK said:
Every number is four times the previous. Noticing that should help.

Hmmm. If this was recursion it would, but I'm afraid I can't see how to make the equation do a factor of 4 increase each time. Not with a simple polynomial. It appears that ##F(x)=5*4^x## works, but I don't think they've done exponential functions yet.

There is a recursion, the pattern F(x+1)=4F(x). Is that related to her class material?

Drakkith said:
Hmmm. If this was recursion it would, but I'm afraid I can't see how to make the equation do a factor of 4 increase each time. Not with a simple polynomial. It appears that ##F(x)=5*4^x## works, but I don't think they've done exponential functions yet.
If the sequence was ##2, 4, 8, 16##, what would you do?

In the discrete case it's a geometric series (just with the indices shifted one place to the left i.e. ##F(0) = u_1, F(1) = u_2, \dots## ). So you might say $$u_n = ar^{n-1} \implies F(k) = u_{k+1} = ar^k = 5 \times 4^k$$but there's also nothing to say it doesn't work if ##k## now comes from a continuous interval.

PeroK said:
If the sequence was ##2, 4, 8, 16##, what would you do?

Ok, I just realized an exponential function ##F(x)=z^x## increases by a factor of ##z##.
So the answer would be ##5*4^x##.

And after talking to my daughter again, there appears to have been some confusion as to which section the question came from. Turns out they HAVE done exponential functions after all.

Thanks everyone. You learn something new everyday!

Likes Delta2
SammyS said:

F(x) = 5 ⋅ (4^x ) .
Drakkith said:
Oh, is that 5∗4x5*4^x? I thought it was 5.4 to the XX.
Yeah, me too! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes hmmm27
Math_QED said:
It does work... You can always fit a fifth degree polynomial but I doubt that's what is intended.
Actually a degree 4 polynomial will do.

##F(x) = \dfrac{135} 8 x^4 - \dfrac{315} 4 x^3 + \dfrac{1125} 8 x^2 - \dfrac{255} 4 x + 5 ##

Added in Edit:
My reply here was intended as an example of a polynomial which passes through the given values, and this polynomial does exactly that.

@kuruman's point, made in the post following this, is well taken.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159
SammyS said:
Actually a degree 4 polynomial will do.
##F(x) = \dfrac{135} 8 x^4 - \dfrac{315} 4 x^3 + \dfrac{1125} 8 x^2 - \dfrac{255} 4 x + 5 ##
I got $$F(x)=
891.445 \cos(x) + 2752.35 \cos(2 x) + 544.52 \cos(3 x) - 2570.62 \cos(4 x) - 1612.7 \cos(5 x).$$One can always fit ##N## data points to any model with ##N## adjustable parameters. See plot below showing the degree 4 polynomial (blue), the sinusoidal superposition (brown) and ##F(x)=5\times 4^x## (green). All three lines pass through the data points exactly. The simpler model is the exponential and we must choose it by applying Occam's razor.

I extended the plot to include ##x=5## and show that the three lines diverge. If we had ##F(5)##, we would be able to distinguish which one is correct. If ##F(5)## is right on the exponential, @SammyS could add another term to the polynomial and I could another sine making both our models more complex while the exponential would retain its simplicity.
GraphComparson.png

Likes SammyS

1. What is the purpose of finding F(x)?

Finding F(x) allows us to determine the relationship between two variables, X and Y. This can help us make predictions and analyze data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and economics.

2. How do I find F(x) given X and Y values?

To find F(x), you need to first plot the given X and Y values on a graph. Then, you can use various methods such as interpolation or regression to determine the function that best fits the data points. This function will represent F(x).

3. Can I find F(x) if I only have a few X and Y values?

Yes, it is possible to find F(x) with a limited number of data points. However, the accuracy of the function may be affected by the small sample size. It is recommended to have a larger dataset for more accurate results.

4. What if my X and Y values do not follow a specific pattern?

In such cases, it may be challenging to find F(x) as there may not be a clear relationship between the variables. It is important to carefully analyze the data and consider different methods to determine the function that best represents the data.

5. Can I use any function to represent F(x)?

There are various types of functions that can represent F(x), such as linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic functions. The choice of function depends on the nature of the data and the relationship between X and Y values. It is important to select a function that best fits the data points to ensure accurate results.