Find the electric field magnitude in each region.

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulties in saving a PDF file due to missing fonts. The question of what to do with the rho outside of the cavity was also raised, with the suggestion to integrate the charge density between the cavity and the outer shell to calculate the radius. It was also mentioned to integrate the entire shell minus the cavity to determine the total charge enclosed outside the sphere.
Joa Boaz
Spherical Shell.png

So far, this is what I have. Now I tried to make as a nice as I could but for some reason every time I attempted to save on a PDF file, I find some missing fonts. This one seems to be okay. But question is what am I to do with the rho outside of the cavity.

In&Out.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Inside the cavity the electric field is 0, no charge enclosed. between the cavity and the outer shell, integrate the charge density to the radius you are calculatina, i.e. some [itex] r [/itex]. Outside the sphere, just integrate the entire shell minus the cavity to calculate the entire charge enclosed.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged objects. It is a force field that surrounds an electrically charged particle and exerts force on other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. How is the electric field magnitude calculated?

The electric field magnitude is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the charge of the particle. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

3. Why is it important to find the electric field magnitude in different regions?

It is important to find the electric field magnitude in different regions because it helps us understand the distribution of electric charges and the strength of the electric field in different areas. This information is crucial for designing and understanding electrical systems and devices.

4. What are the different regions in which the electric field magnitude can be found?

The electric field magnitude can be found in different regions such as inside a conductor, outside a conductor, between two parallel plates, and around a point charge. Each region has a different distribution of electric charges and therefore, a different electric field magnitude.

5. How does the electric field magnitude affect charged particles?

The electric field magnitude affects charged particles by exerting a force on them. The direction of this force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. The magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the electric field magnitude, meaning a stronger electric field will exert a greater force on a charged particle.