Find the energy lost of the system of a t-shirt cannon

In summary, the conversation involves a person expressing frustration and confusion about a homework problem that they don't know how to solve. The other person clarifies that the forum has rules about showing effort before receiving help and questions why the problem was posted in the homework section. The first person interprets the response as rude but the other person explains that it was just a statement of fact.
Romanamarques
Homework Statement
Find the energy lost of the system of a manually pumped T-shirt cannon (with a bike pump). Consider loss of energy to friction and loss of pressure.
Relevant Equations
mgh
1/2mv^2
PV = nRT
W = Fd
I don’t even know where to start. I especially don’t know how I would find the energy inside of the pump that would then be released to shoot a T-shirt.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is it that you have been given a homework problem that you don't even have any idea where to start on?

The rules of this forum are that you have to show some work on your own before we can give you any help.

Romanamarques said:
because it isn’t a homework. It’s a study being conducted by me.
So why did you post it in the homework section where everyone would assume it's homework, particularly since you did not say it wasn't?

But thanks for being so curt and rude anyway. I’ll ask others.
I think you must be accustomed to social media where it's OK to assume that any negative statement is an attack. Your interpretation of my statement is completely wrong. This is a science form and the rules are as I stated. Statements of fact on this forum should not be interpreted as an attack, just a statement of fact.

If you show no effort, you get no help. Well, actually, not everyone follows the rules so someone might jump in and help but you'd be better off showing some work.

1. What is "Find the energy lost of the system of a t-shirt cannon" about?

"Find the energy lost of the system of a t-shirt cannon" is a scientific experiment that aims to determine the amount of energy lost in the overall system of a t-shirt cannon. This includes the energy lost in the compression of the air, friction, and other factors that may affect the efficiency of the cannon.

2. Why is it important to find the energy lost of a t-shirt cannon?

Knowing the energy lost in a t-shirt cannon is important in order to improve its efficiency and performance. This information can also be used to compare different types of t-shirt cannons and determine which one is more energy efficient.

3. What are the steps involved in finding the energy lost of a t-shirt cannon?

The first step is to measure the initial energy of the compressed air in the cannon. Then, the t-shirt cannon is fired and the distance the t-shirt travels is measured. Next, the energy of the t-shirt is calculated using its mass and velocity. Finally, the difference between the initial and final energies is the energy lost of the system.

4. What are some factors that may affect the energy lost of a t-shirt cannon?

The energy lost of a t-shirt cannon may be affected by factors such as the air pressure and temperature, the design and condition of the cannon, the type and weight of the t-shirt, and external factors like wind resistance.

5. How can the information from "Find the energy lost of the system of a t-shirt cannon" be applied in real life?

The information gathered from this experiment can be applied in the design and improvement of t-shirt cannons, as well as in the development of more energy-efficient devices that use compressed air. It can also help in understanding the principles of energy conservation and efficiency in other systems and machines.