Find the equation of the line tangent to two parabolas

  • Thread starter Thread starter flemonster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Tangent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
flemonster
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given the two parabolas: [itex]f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 2[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = -x^2 - 2x - 2[/itex]. Find the equation of a line that is tangent to both curves.

Homework Equations



The given parabolas, equation for a line [itex]y = mx + b[/itex], and the derivatives of the two parabolas [itex]2x - 2[/itex] and [itex]-2x - 2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The line tangent to the two parabolas will pass through the points

[itex](x_1 , y_1)[/itex]

for the parabola [itex]f(x)[/itex] and

[itex](x_2 , y_2)[/itex]

for the parabola [itex]g(x)[/itex]

so the equations for the two lines will be,

for f' [itex]y_1 = (2x_1 - 2)x_1 +b[/itex]

and

g' [itex]y_2 = (-2x_2 - 2)x_2 + b[/itex].

Since the slopes of both lines will be the same I thought that setting the two slopes equal might get me started so I wrote

[itex]2x_1 - 2 = -2x_2 - 2[/itex]

which gave me [itex]\frac{x_1}{x_2} = -1[/itex].

I rearranged the two linear equations and set them equal:

[itex]y_1 - (2x_1 - 2)x_1 = y_2 - (-2x_2 - 2)x_2[/itex]

but that got me absolutely nowhere. I got the whole thing down to

[itex]x^2 _1 + x^2 _2 = \frac{y_1 - y_2}{2}[/itex]

but that doesn't help.

I know I need to limit my variables and try to get the whole thing in terms of one variable but I'm at a loss as to how to make that happen. Every time I substitute and simplify I get either one or negative one which tells me nothing. I can't figure out how relate the equations and simplify. Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.math.washington.edu/~aloveles/Math124Fall2012/ConroytangentLines01.pdf

I don't know how to do these problems, but that looks exactly how I would go about it. Sorry I can't give any additional help.
 
You do not appear to have used the fact that the points (x1, y1), (x2, y2) lie on the respective parabolas.
 
haruspex said:
You do not appear to have used the fact that the points (x1, y1), (x2, y2) lie on the respective parabolas.

I'm not sure what you mean. I accounted for them being on different parabolas with the subscripts but is there something in their being on different parabolas that I missed?
 
And I just figured it out. That tutorial from UW did the trick which is kind of funny seeing that's where I did my undergrad. Thanks iRaid!
 
flemonster said:
I'm not sure what you mean.
I mean that e.g. x1, y1 satisfy the equation of the first parabola.