1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of the line tangent to two parabolas

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the two parabolas: [itex] f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 2[/itex] and [itex] g(x) = -x^2 - 2x - 2[/itex]. Find the equation of a line that is tangent to both curves.

2. Relevant equations

The given parabolas, equation for a line [itex]y = mx + b[/itex], and the derivatives of the two parabolas [itex]2x - 2[/itex] and [itex]-2x - 2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The line tangent to the two parabolas will pass through the points

[itex](x_1 , y_1)[/itex]

for the parabola [itex]f(x)[/itex] and

[itex](x_2 , y_2) [/itex]

for the parabola [itex]g(x)[/itex]

so the equations for the two lines will be,

for f' [itex]y_1 = (2x_1 - 2)x_1 +b [/itex]

and

g' [itex] y_2 = (-2x_2 - 2)x_2 + b[/itex].

Since the slopes of both lines will be the same I thought that setting the two slopes equal might get me started so I wrote

[itex]2x_1 - 2 = -2x_2 - 2 [/itex]

which gave me [itex]\frac{x_1}{x_2} = -1 [/itex].

I rearranged the two linear equations and set them equal:

[itex]y_1 - (2x_1 - 2)x_1 = y_2 - (-2x_2 - 2)x_2[/itex]

but that got me absolutely nowhere. I got the whole thing down to

[itex]x^2 _1 + x^2 _2 = \frac{y_1 - y_2}{2}[/itex]

but that doesn't help.

I know I need to limit my variables and try to get the whole thing in terms of one variable but I'm at a loss as to how to make that happen. Every time I substitute and simplify I get either one or negative one which tells me nothing. I can't figure out how relate the equations and simplify. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2
  4. Feb 13, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You do not appear to have used the fact that the points (x1, y1), (x2, y2) lie on the respective parabolas.

5. Feb 13, 2013 #4
    I'm not sure what you mean. I accounted for them being on different parabolas with the subscripts but is there something in their being on different parabolas that I missed?

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5
    And I just figured it out. That tutorial from UW did the trick which is kind of funny seeing that's where I did my undergrad. Thanks iRaid!

7. Feb 13, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I mean that e.g. x1, y1 satisfy the equation of the first parabola.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook