Find the equation of the line tangent to two parabolas

In summary: So why not use the equation of the first parabola at some point in your algebraic manipulations?In summary, a line that is tangent to both the parabolas f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 2 and g(x) = -x^2 - 2x - 2 can be found by setting the derivatives of the two parabolas equal to each other and using the fact that the points of tangency (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) lie on their respective parabolas. This leads to a system of equations that can be solved for the coordinates of the points of tangency, which can then be used to find the equation of the tangent
flemonster

Homework Statement

Given the two parabolas: [itex] f(x) = x^2 - 2x + 2[/itex] and [itex] g(x) = -x^2 - 2x - 2[/itex]. Find the equation of a line that is tangent to both curves.

Homework Equations

The given parabolas, equation for a line [itex]y = mx + b[/itex], and the derivatives of the two parabolas [itex]2x - 2[/itex] and [itex]-2x - 2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The line tangent to the two parabolas will pass through the points

[itex](x_1 , y_1)[/itex]

for the parabola [itex]f(x)[/itex] and

[itex](x_2 , y_2) [/itex]

for the parabola [itex]g(x)[/itex]

so the equations for the two lines will be,

for f' [itex]y_1 = (2x_1 - 2)x_1 +b [/itex]

and

g' [itex] y_2 = (-2x_2 - 2)x_2 + b[/itex].

Since the slopes of both lines will be the same I thought that setting the two slopes equal might get me started so I wrote

[itex]2x_1 - 2 = -2x_2 - 2 [/itex]

which gave me [itex]\frac{x_1}{x_2} = -1 [/itex].

I rearranged the two linear equations and set them equal:

[itex]y_1 - (2x_1 - 2)x_1 = y_2 - (-2x_2 - 2)x_2[/itex]

but that got me absolutely nowhere. I got the whole thing down to

[itex]x^2 _1 + x^2 _2 = \frac{y_1 - y_2}{2}[/itex]

but that doesn't help.

I know I need to limit my variables and try to get the whole thing in terms of one variable but I'm at a loss as to how to make that happen. Every time I substitute and simplify I get either one or negative one which tells me nothing. I can't figure out how relate the equations and simplify. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.math.washington.edu/~aloveles/Math124Fall2012/ConroytangentLines01.pdf

I don't know how to do these problems, but that looks exactly how I would go about it. Sorry I can't give any additional help.

You do not appear to have used the fact that the points (x1, y1), (x2, y2) lie on the respective parabolas.

haruspex said:
You do not appear to have used the fact that the points (x1, y1), (x2, y2) lie on the respective parabolas.

I'm not sure what you mean. I accounted for them being on different parabolas with the subscripts but is there something in their being on different parabolas that I missed?

And I just figured it out. That tutorial from UW did the trick which is kind of funny seeing that's where I did my undergrad. Thanks iRaid!

flemonster said:
I'm not sure what you mean.
I mean that e.g. x1, y1 satisfy the equation of the first parabola.

What is the equation of the line tangent to two parabolas?

The equation of the line tangent to two parabolas can be found by first finding the point of intersection between the two parabolas. Then, using the slope at that point of intersection, the equation of the tangent line can be determined using the point-slope form.

How do I find the point of intersection between two parabolas?

The point of intersection between two parabolas can be found by solving the system of equations formed by setting the two parabolas equal to each other. This can be done by setting the equations in standard form and using the quadratic formula to solve for the x-values of the point of intersection.

What is the slope at the point of intersection between two parabolas?

The slope at the point of intersection between two parabolas can be found by taking the derivative of each parabola and setting them equal to each other. This will give the slope of the tangent line at the point of intersection.

Can two parabolas have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, two parabolas can have more than one point of intersection. In fact, if the two parabolas have the same equation, they will have infinite points of intersection. However, if the two parabolas have different equations, they will typically have either 0, 1, or 2 points of intersection.

Is the equation of the line tangent to two parabolas unique?

Yes, the equation of the line tangent to two parabolas is unique. This is because the slope at the point of intersection between two parabolas is always the same, regardless of the position of the parabolas. Therefore, the equation of the tangent line will always be the same, regardless of the specific parabolas being used.