Find the equation of the tangent

• MHB
  • Thread starter shawen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary, the point for which F'(a)=a is (1,-5) and the equation of the tangent to f(x) at this point is y = x - 6.
shawen
determine the point (a,F(a)) for which F'(a)=a, given that f(x)= -x^2+3x-7. write the equation of the tangent to f(x) at the point found

1) i have tried putting into first principle but when i do my denominator become 0 so i am kind stuck , i don't know what to do

please help me
thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
shawen said:
determine the point (a,F(a)) for which F'(a)=a, given that f(x)= -x^2+3x-7. write the equation of the tangent to f(x) at the point found

Hi shawen,

First compute $f'(x) = -2x + 3$. Since $f'(a) = a$, we have $a = -2a + 3$, or $a = 1$. Then $f(a) = f(1) = -5$. The equation of the tangent to $f$ at $(1,-5)$ is $y = -5 + f'(1)(x - 1)$, or $y = -5 + 1 (x - 1)$, i.e., $y = x - 6$.

1. What is the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line is a linear equation that describes the slope and intercept of the line at a specific point on a curve or function.

2. How do you find the equation of the tangent line?

To find the equation of the tangent line, you need to first calculate the derivative of the function at the given point. Then, use the slope and point-slope formula to write the equation in the form y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the significance of the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line helps to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can you find the equation of the tangent line at any point on a curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can be found at any point on a curve, as long as the function is differentiable at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line is only accurate at the specific point where it is calculated. It may not accurately represent the whole curve, especially if the function is not differentiable at that point.