Cartesian equation of the tangent plane

In summary: Thinking)As it is, we have 6 unknown constants in the tangent equation: $a,b,c,x_0,y_0,z_0$.And we have 1 equation that puts a restriction on $a,b,c$.To be honest, the problem seems to be a bit 'incomplete'.Either way, it seems to me that we might as well let it stand like that.... for now?
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

A differentiable function $f(x,y,z)$ has $\nabla f (x_0, y_0, z_0) \neq (0,0,0)$ and zero instant rate of change from $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ in the direction $\left( \frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3}\right)$. Which could be the cartesian equation of the tangent plane of the level surface of the function at the point $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ ?
I have done the following :

Since the function has zero instant rate of change from $(x_0, y_0, z_0)$ in the direction $\left( \frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3}\right)$ we have that:
$$\nabla f(x_0, y_0, z_0) \cdot (\frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3})=0 \\ \Rightarrow \frac{2}{3} f_x(x_0, y_0, z_0)-\frac{1}{3} f_y(x_0,y_0,z_0)-\frac{2}{3} f_z(x_0,y_0,z_0)=0$$

The level surfaces of $f(x,y,z)$ are of the form $f(x,y,z)=c$.

How could we find the equation of the tangent plane of the level surface at $(x_0,y_0,z_0)$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

I'm a bit confused about the wording 'level curve'.
Doesn't an equation of the form $f(x,y,z)=c$ identify a surface?
Take for instance $f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2$. Then $f(x,y,z)=c$ is a sphere, isn't it?

And if it's really a curve, doesn't it have more than a single tangent plane?
Is perhaps the rectifying plane intended then (the plane that contains the tangent and the binormal vector of the curve)?

Can you clarify? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathmari! (Smile)

I'm a bit confused about the wording 'level curve'.
Doesn't an equation of the form $f(x,y,z)=c$ identify a surface?
Take for instance $f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2$. Then $f(x,y,z)=c$ is a sphere, isn't it?

And if it's really a curve, doesn't it have more than a single tangent plane?
Is perhaps the rectifying plane intended then (the plane that contains the tangent and the binormal vector of the curve)?

Can you clarify? (Wondering)

Ohh.. (Blush) Level curves should be level surafces. I changed it in post #1.

mathmari said:
Ohh.. (Blush) Level curves should be level surafces. I changed it in post #1.

Okay... then we have one vector with zero instant rate of change... but don't we need two of them? Independent from each other? (Wondering)
If so, we could define the second vector to a set of unknowns, after which we can set up an equation.

Or can it be that the non-zero instant rate of change is intended?
In that case we would have sufficient information to set up the equation for the tangent plane. (Thinking)

For the record, the equation of the tangent plane would be in either case:
$$
\nabla f_0\cdot \mathbf x = \nabla f_0\cdot \mathbf x_0
$$
since $\nabla f_0$ is normal to the tangent plane.

I like Serena said:
Okay... then we have one vector with zero instant rate of change... but don't we need two of them? Independent from each other? (Wondering)
If so, we could define the second vector to a set of unknowns, after which we can set up an equation.

Or can it be that the non-zero instant rate of change is intended?
In that case we would have sufficient information to set up the equation for the tangent plane. (Thinking)

For the record, the equation of the tangent plane would be in either case:
$$
\nabla f_0\cdot \mathbf x = \nabla f_0\cdot \mathbf x_0
$$
since $\nabla f_0$ is normal to the tangent plane.
It is zero instant rate of change. So, we consider a vector $(a,b,c)$ ?

Do we take $\nabla f_0\cdot (a,b,c)$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
It is zero instant rate of change. So, we consider a vector $(a,b,c)$ ?

Do we take $\nabla f_0\cdot (a,b,c)$ ? (Wondering)

Hmm... perhaps we can define:
$$(a,b,c) = \nabla f(x_0, y_0, z_0)$$
That means that the equation of the tangent plane is (from the formula in my previous post):
$$(a,b,c) \cdot (x,y,z) = (a,b,c) \cdot (x_0, y_0, z_0)$$
And additionally we have the restriction:
$$\nabla f(x_0, y_0, z_0) \cdot (\frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3})=(a, b, c) \cdot (\frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3})=0$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hmm... perhaps we can define:
$$(a,b,c) = \nabla f(x_0, y_0, z_0)$$
That means that the equation of the tangent plane is (from the formula in my previous post):
$$(a,b,c) \cdot (x,y,z) = (a,b,c) \cdot (x_0, y_0, z_0)$$
And additionally we have the restriction:
$$\nabla f(x_0, y_0, z_0) \cdot (\frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3})=(a, b, c) \cdot (\frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3})=0$$
(Thinking)

So, we have to find a relation for the vector $(a,b,c)$ ? Or do we not have to get rid of thes unknowns? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we have to find a relation for the vector $(a,b,c)$ ? Or do we not have to get rid of thes unknowns? (Wondering)

As it is, we have 6 unknown constants in the tangent equation: $a,b,c,x_0,y_0,z_0$.
And we have 1 equation that puts a restriction on $a,b,c$.
To be honest, the problem seems to be a bit 'incomplete'.
Either way, it seems to me that we might as well let it stand like that. (Thinking)

So, we have that $(a, b, c) \cdot (\frac{2}{3},-\frac{1}{3},-\frac{2}{3})=0 \Rightarrow 2a-b-2c=0 \Rightarrow b=2a-2c$. Therefore, we get
$$a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0)=0 \Rightarrow a(x-x_0)+(2a-2c)(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0)=0 $$
right? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that's the best that we can do (together with the definition $(a,b,c)=\nabla f_0$). (Nod)

I like Serena said:
I believe that's the best that we can do (together with the definition $(a,b,c)=\nabla f_0$). (Nod)

Great! Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane?

The Cartesian equation of the tangent plane is a mathematical representation of a plane that is tangent to a given surface at a specific point. It is used in multivariable calculus to find the slope of a surface at a specific point.

2. How is the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane calculated?

The Cartesian equation of the tangent plane is calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface equation at the given point. The equation is given by z = f(a,b) + fx(a,b)(x-a) + fy(a,b)(y-b), where (a,b) is the point of tangency and fx and fy are the partial derivatives of the surface equation.

3. What is the significance of the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane?

The Cartesian equation of the tangent plane is significant because it allows us to find the slope of a surface at a specific point. This is useful in optimization problems and in finding the optimal direction for movement on a surface.

4. Can the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane be used for any surface?

Yes, the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane can be used for any surface that can be described by a mathematical equation. It is commonly used for functions of two or three variables, such as surfaces in 3D space.

5. How is the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane related to the normal vector?

The normal vector of a given surface at a specific point is perpendicular to the tangent plane at that point. The coefficients of the x, y, and z terms in the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane correspond to the components of the normal vector, making it a useful tool for finding the normal vector of a surface.