Find the force of the rod on the point charge

In summary, the problem asks to find the force of a rod with length L and total charge Q on a point charge q that is a distance D away and lies along the perpendicular bisector of the rod. Using the equations E = ∫ dE, dq = λdx, and F = qE, the force can be calculated by integrating from -L/2 to L/2 along the rod, with the second integral going to zero due to symmetry.
dk321

Homework Statement

A rod of length L and total charge Q is a distance D from a point charge q which lies along the
perpendicular bisector of the rod. Find the force of the rod on the point charge

Homework Equations

E = ∫ dE

dq = λdx

F = qE

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to integrate this does the second integral of j go to zero?

[tex](kQ/L) [i\hat D \int _0L dy/(D^2+y^2)^(3/2) -j\hat \int _0^L ydy/ (D^2+y^2)^(3/2)][/tex]

sorry for the equation I'm still learning to use latex

Physics news on Phys.org
dk321 said:
I'm trying to integrate this does the second integral of j go to zero?

The second integral should go to zero due to symmetry. But I don't think you're setting up the limits of integration correctly. The problem statement says the test charge q "lies along the perpendicular bisector of the rod."

In other words, set up the system in your mind such that the test charge is on one of the axis, a distance D from the origin, and the the rod lies on a different (perpendicular) axis such that the center of the rod is at the origin. Then integrate along the rod from -L/2 to L/2.
sorry for the equation I'm still learning to use latex
See the link in my signature for a primer in [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] btw.

Last edited:
By the way, as a [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] example, I think the equation you were trying to type in, with limits of integration corrected, is (Right lick on it to see the LaTeX source):

[tex] \vec F = \frac{kQq}{L} \left[\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} {\frac{D \ dy}{\left(D^2+y^2 \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \hat \imath} + \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} {\frac{y \ dy}{\left(D^2+y^2 \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \hat \jmath} \right][/tex]

1. What is the equation for finding the force of a rod on a point charge?

The equation is F = (k * Q * q) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the rod, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance between the two.

2. How do I determine the direction of the force between a rod and a point charge?

The force will always be attractive if the charges are of opposite signs and repulsive if they are of the same sign. The direction of the force will be along the line connecting the rod and the point charge.

3. Can I use this equation for rods with non-uniform charge distributions?

No, this equation only applies to rods with uniform charge distributions. For rods with non-uniform charge distributions, you would need to use calculus to calculate the force at a specific point.

4. Is the force of a rod on a point charge affected by the length of the rod?

Yes, the length of the rod does affect the force. As the length of the rod increases, the force will also increase, assuming all other variables remain constant.

5. How can I use this equation to calculate the force of multiple rods on a point charge?

To calculate the force of multiple rods on a point charge, you would need to use the superposition principle. This means that you would calculate the force for each rod individually using the equation F = (k * Q * q) / r^2, and then add all the forces together to get the total force on the point charge.