1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the force of the rod on the point charge

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rod of length L and total charge Q is a distance D from a point charge q which lies along the
    perpendicular bisector of the rod. Find the force of the rod on the point charge

2. Relevant equations

E = ∫ dE

dq = λdx

F = qE
    3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to integrate this does the second integral of j go to zero?

[tex](kQ/L) [i\hat D \int _0L dy/(D^2+y^2)^(3/2) -j\hat \int _0^L ydy/ (D^2+y^2)^(3/2)][/tex]

sorry for the equation I'm still learning to use latex

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The second integral should go to zero due to symmetry. But I don't think you're setting up the limits of integration correctly. The problem statement says the test charge q "lies along the perpendicular bisector of the rod."

In other words, set up the system in your mind such that the test charge is on one of the axis, a distance D from the origin, and the the rod lies on a different (perpendicular) axis such that the center of the rod is at the origin. Then integrate along the rod from -L/2 to L/2.
    See the link in my signature for a primer in [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] btw.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. Apr 25, 2012 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, as a [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] example, I think the equation you were trying to type in, with limits of integration corrected, is (Right lick on it to see the LaTeX source):

[tex] \vec F = \frac{kQq}{L} \left[\int_{-L/2}^{L/2} {\frac{D \ dy}{\left(D^2+y^2 \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \hat \imath} + \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} {\frac{y \ dy}{\left(D^2+y^2 \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \hat \jmath} \right][/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook