Find the height, given work, time and mass (elevator)

In summary, the question asks to find the height an elevator, with a mass of 500kg, goes up after doing 12000J of work in 12 seconds. Equations used to solve this problem include Ek=1/2mv^2, Ep=mgh, W=Fs, P=Fv, and other standard kinematic equations. The given attempt at a solution did not yield the correct answer, which is expected given the vague information provided.
notverygood

Homework Statement

An elevator with a mass of 500kg goes up 30 stories in 12 seconds doing 12000J of work. Find how high the elevator goes.

Homework Equations

I'm not exactly sure what equations are needed for this question but in class we have been using these equations.

Ek=1/2mv^2
Ep=mgh
W=Fs
P=Fv
Totaly Mechanical Energy = Ep + Ek
we have also been ignoring other losses.

and other standard kinematic equations to work out velocity, acceleration, distance etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would show my attempt at it but I've really got no clue and end up getting answers of like 2.45m which is obviously not the height of a 30 story building.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, I'm going off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer.
Looks like there's something wrong with the question, a typo perhaps.

1. How does work, time, and mass affect the height of an elevator?

The height of an elevator is directly proportional to the amount of work done and the time it takes to do that work. It is also inversely proportional to the mass of the elevator. This means that the greater the work done and the longer it takes to do it, the higher the elevator will go. On the other hand, the heavier the elevator is, the lower it will go.

2. What is the equation for finding the height of an elevator given work, time, and mass?

The equation for finding the height of an elevator is: height = (work)/(mass x gravitational acceleration) x time. This equation is derived from the formula for work (W = F x d) and the equation for potential energy (PE = mgh).

3. How is gravitational acceleration related to the height of an elevator?

Gravitational acceleration is a constant value (9.8 m/s^2) that determines the rate at which an object falls. In this case, it is used to calculate the potential energy of the elevator, which is then used to find its height. The higher the gravitational acceleration, the greater the potential energy and thus the higher the elevator will go.

4. What units should be used for the variables in the equation for finding the height of an elevator?

The work should be in joules (J), the mass in kilograms (kg), and the time in seconds (s). The resulting height will be in meters (m). It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate answer.

5. Can this equation be used to find the height of any elevator?

Yes, this equation can be used to find the height of any elevator as long as the variables (work, time, and mass) are known. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes a constant gravitational acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 and neglects any other external factors that may affect the height of the elevator, such as friction or air resistance.