Find the images of the following function

In summary, the conversation revolves around a function and its graph. The question at hand asks for an explanation of how the equation produces the graph and discusses various aspects such as the value of the function at x=0, why it is the maximum, the symmetry of the graph, and the reason for the function not being equal to infinity at any point.
angela107
Homework Statement
I found the image of the following function (a graph). The question also asks me to explain my answer briefly. I'm not sure how to go about to answering.
Relevant Equations
n/a
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 6.13.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 6.17.38 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
angela107 said:
Homework Statement:: I found the image of the following function (a graph). The question also asks me to explain my answer briefly. I'm not sure how to go about to answering.
Relevant Equations:: n/a

View attachment 270198

View attachment 270199
So just start talking about how the equation produces the graph. What is the value of the function with x=0? Why is that the maximum that the function can produce? Why is the graph symmetric about the x=0 axis? With an x in the denominator, why is the function not equal to infinity somewhere?

berkeman said:
So just start talking about how the equation produces the graph. What is the value of the function with x=0? Why is that the maximum that the function can produce? Why is the graph symmetric about the x=0 axis? With an x in the denominator, why is the function not equal to infinity somewhere?
Thank you!

angela107 said:
Thank you!
You're welcome. And your thoughts are... :smile:

1. What is the purpose of finding the images of a function?

Finding the images of a function can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of the function. It allows us to see the output values for different input values and can help us identify patterns or relationships within the function.

2. How do you find the images of a function?

To find the images of a function, you can plug in different input values into the function and calculate the corresponding output values. This can be done manually or by using a graphing calculator or computer software.

3. What is the difference between the domain and the range of a function?

The domain of a function refers to the set of all possible input values, while the range refers to the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of x-values and the range is the set of y-values.

4. Can a function have multiple images for a single input value?

Yes, a function can have multiple images for a single input value. This is known as a one-to-many relationship, where one input value corresponds to multiple output values.

5. How can finding the images of a function be useful in real life?

Finding the images of a function can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics. It can help us make predictions and solve real-world problems by understanding the relationship between different variables.