Find the kinetic energy of the system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
milkyway11
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
The question states: two adult bighorn rams butt heads in an elastic collision. the alpha male 136kg moves slower than his challenger that's 113kg. If the challenger collides at 8m/s and is repelled at 6m/s, find the kinetic energy of the system and the percent increase in speed that the alpha male experience.


I tried to solve the problem by using the conservation of momentum. However, since I don't know the initial nor final velocity of the alpha male, I decided to use the conservation of kinetic energy and find the Vi in terms of Vf. but that means I have to solve a v^2+v+c=0 (sorry, forgot what it was called). So i am not sure if i did it correctly since it is so complicated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi milkyway11! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
milkyway11 said:
… in an elastic collision …

… I decided to use the conservation of kinetic energy …

"elastic" collision means that you must use conservation of energy (as well as conservation of momentum, which applies in all collisions)
… but that means I have to solve a v^2+v+c=0 (sorry, forgot what it was called). So i am not sure if i did it correctly since it is so complicated.

(it's a quadratic equation :smile: …)

it has to have two solutions, because one solution will always be for the two objects to completely miss each other, won't it? :biggrin:
 
Thank you for your reply!

tiny-tim said:
hi milkyway11! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)


"elastic" collision means that you must use conservation of energy (as well as conservation of momentum, which applies in all collisions)


(it's a quadratic equation :smile: …)

it has to have two solutions, because one solution will always be for the two objects to completely miss each other, won't it? :biggrin: