Find the Limit of X and Y Exponents as n Goes to Infinity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jinbaw
Messages
65
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]X \geq Y > 0, find \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(\frac{2X^n + 7Y^n}{2}\right)^{1/n}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not really sure how to do it, but i guess I need to use the fact that [tex]\frac{Y}{X} \leq 1[/tex], and so [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(\frac{Y}{X}\right)^n = 0.[/tex]
Thanks for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the argument by [tex]\frac{X^n}{X^n}[/tex] then take the [tex]X^n[/tex] out of the brackets.
 
[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} X \left( 1 + \left( \frac{7Y}{2X} \right)^n \right)^{1/n}[/tex]
But I'm still stuck on how to procceed, if you could help.
 
There is one mistake, 7/2 should not be within the brackets. Now take X in front of the limit and use [tex]\frac{Y}{X} \leq 1 \Rightarrow \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(\frac{Y}{X}\right)^n = 0[/tex].