Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
StudentofPhysics
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.26 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

I know to use F=qvBsin(theta) but the v is lacking. What do I do to find v?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer lies in "electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV"

What is the relation btw potential difference and the variation in kinetic energy of a particle passing through it.
 
Or put another way, the 25keV is a measure of the electron's kinetic energy, all due to its velocity. Convert the keV units to Joules, look up the mass of the electron, and...
 
I know it lies within that statement, but I cannot find a relationship between the two.

I know P=IV, but I lack I. If that's even the right approach to begin with. I figure the energy in the potential difference (Volts) can be converted into a E=mA, but can the E in that equation be expressed in Volts?
 
ok, I see where you're coming from and I converted it into Joules.

I used 1eV=1.6e-19 joules

x 25kV = 4e-15J

My answer was wrong however, and I believe it is because I converted it with eV instead of V. eV = how many V again?
 
[tex]q\Delta V = \Delta U[/tex]

Where U is the potential energy. And how are variations of potential energy related to variations of kinetic energy?
 
This is what I've tried

E=mA = 1.6x10^-19 (25000)

A = E/A = (1.6x10^-19)(25000) / 9.11x10^-31 = 4.39 x 10^15

F = (1.6 x 10^-19) (.26T) (sin 89.9) (4.39 x 10 ^15)

I've also tried without the q because maybe it already was alrady included with the eV.
I've also tried with different thetas, assuming 90* is the biggest sign, but not plausible (although tried), and 89.9* since maybe its plausible and also 45*.

Nothing has been right. ?
 
StudentofPhysics said:
My answer was wrong however, and I believe it is because I converted it with eV instead of V. eV = how many V again?

This question is meaningless. eV is a measure of energy, V is a measure of energy / culoumb.

It's confusing at first, but you get used to it
 
[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex] in the mks system of units, [tex][J] = [kg] [m^2 / s^2][/tex]
 
StudentofPhysics said:
In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.26 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

I know to use F=qvBsin(theta) but the v is lacking. What do I do to find v?

From rest to pd of 25kV, the electrons move with kinetic energy equal to 0.5ev^2 = 25ekV. That gives you the v.
 
thiotimoline said:
From rest to pd of 25kV, the electrons move with kinetic energy equal to 0.5ev^2 = 25ekV. That gives you the v.
Say what? Why are you taking 0.5eV and squaring it? and what's 25ekV?


EDIT -- Oh, I see what you were trying to type. You should fix the typos on both sides of that equation so it doesn't confuse the OP.