1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.26 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

I know to use F=qvBsin(theta) but the v is lacking. What do I do to find v?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The answer lies in "electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV"

What is the relation btw potential difference and the variation in kinetic energy of a particle passing through it.

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Or put another way, the 25keV is a measure of the electron's kinetic energy, all due to its velocity. Convert the keV units to Joules, look up the mass of the electron, and.....

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4
    I know it lies within that statement, but I cannot find a relationship between the two.

I know P=IV, but I lack I. If thats even the right approach to begin with. I figure the energy in the potential difference (Volts) can be converted into a E=mA, but can the E in that equation be expressed in Volts?

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5
    ok, I see where you're coming from and I converted it into Joules.

I used 1eV=1.6e-19 joules

x 25kV = 4e-15J

My answer was wrong however, and I believe it is because I converted it with eV instead of V. eV = how many V again?

7. Jul 18, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]q\Delta V = \Delta U[/tex]

Where U is the potential energy. And how are variations of potential energy related to variations of kinetic energy?

8. Jul 18, 2006 #7
    This is what I've tried

E=mA = 1.6x10^-19 (25000)

A = E/A = (1.6x10^-19)(25000) / 9.11x10^-31 = 4.39 x 10^15

F = (1.6 x 10^-19) (.26T) (sin 89.9) (4.39 x 10 ^15)

I've also tried without the q because maybe it already was alrady included with the eV.
    I've also tried with different thetas, assuming 90* is the biggest sign, but not plausible (although tried), and 89.9* since maybe its plausible and also 45*.

Nothing has been right. ???

9. Jul 18, 2006 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This question is meaningless. eV is a measure of energy, V is a measure of energy / culoumb.

It's confusing at first, but you get used to it

10. Jul 19, 2006 #9

berkeman

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex] in the mks system of units, [tex][J] = [kg] [m^2 / s^2][/tex]

11. Jul 20, 2006 #10
    From rest to pd of 25kV, the electrons move with kinetic energy equal to 0.5ev^2 = 25ekV. That gives you the v.

12. Jul 20, 2006 #11

berkeman

Say what? Why are you taking 0.5eV and squaring it? and what's 25ekV?

EDIT -- Oh, I see what you were trying to type. You should fix the typos on both sides of that equation so it doesn't confuse the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?