1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Magnitude of Magnetic Field

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron accelerated from rest through a voltage of 420 V enters a region of constant magnetic field. If the electron follows a circular path with a radius of 29 cm, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field?

2. Relevant equations

r=mv/lqlB
    K=VQ
    Conservation of Energy: Total Energy = KE + PE
    KE = 1/2 mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know I need to use r=mv/qB to find the Magnitude of the Magnetic Field.
    r= .29m
    m=9.11x10-31 kg
    q= 1.6x10-19
    v= ???
    B= what we're solving for.

If I can find the velocity of the electron, then I will be able to solve for the Magnitude of the Magnetic field.

I tried looking online for other solutions and someone said this, but I can't really understand it that well:

From conservation of energy we can calculate the velocity

K = V*q so 1/2*m*v^2 = V*q...so v = sqrt(2*V*q/m) = sqrt(2*410*1.60x10^-19/9.11x10^-31)
    = 1.20x10^7m/s

Now we have F = m*a ....q*v*B = m*v^2/r

What is this K=vq equation? I couldn't find it when I was looking for it. It's the Voltage x The Charge?

Because we know the particle starts at rest, we know that the potential energy = kinetic energy. But I really don't know how to find the velocity. Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2
    What work is done on a charged particle, on passing through a p.d.?

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    What is a p.d? We also haven't talked about work on charged particles at all. I'm taking the general algebra based physics, not the calculus based one.

5. Mar 3, 2016 #4
    P.d. stands for potential difference; my bad.

Ok, here - do you know the magnitude of the force that acts on a charge q in an electric field E?

6. Mar 3, 2016 #5
    Ah right!!! Of course. The Potential Difference.
    The equations I know for Electric Field are...
    E= Force/q0
    E= kq/r
    But where does the potential difference come into play? The P.d is essentially a voltage, right?

7. Mar 3, 2016 #6
    Yes, it is.
    Travelling along an electric field causes a change in p.d. - do you know of any relation between this potential and the existing electric field?

8. Mar 3, 2016 #7
    Also, coming back to Felectric = qE -
    so if knowing that work done by a force is F.s (where s is the displacement along the force), can we write the work done in terms of the electrc field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted