What is the Maximum Magnetic Force on an Electron in a Television Set?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kdrobey
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 23 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.29 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.


Homework Equations


B=F/QVSin(theta)


The Attempt at a Solution


Since I'm solving for F, i got it by itself:F=BQVSin(theta). I had theta equal to 90, because a charge experiences Fmax when perpendicular to the field. I had q=1.6x10^-19, which is the charge of an electron. I know that the potential difference is 23 kV, but i cannot figure out how to solve for V
 
Physics news on Phys.org
to solve for v, i tried v=(Square root)2q/m. so 2(1.6e-19)/(9.11e-31)=592673.9=v. then F=0.29*(1.6e-19)(592673.9)=2.75e-14
 
You appear to have missed a variable, that of the potential difference over which the electrons were accelerated. Apart from that your method appears quite all right.