Find the mass number A of the most stable nuclei given Z

Incidentally, you can also combine your numerical substitution with the iterative approach to further refine your estimate of A. If you have access to a calculator or computer algebra system, this can be done reasonably efficiently.In summary, there isn't an exact method to solve equations with fractional exponents, but you can use numerical techniques such as Newton's method or an iterative approach to find solutions. With limited time during an exam, you can start with a trial value of A based on the given Z and use numerical substitution and an iterative approach to refine your estimate.
gennarakis

Homework Statement

Knowing the Z (number of protons) of an element, how can I find N (number of neutrons) or A (mass number) of the element?

Homework Equations

I tried to use the semi-empirical mass formula EB = ανΑ - αsA2/3 - αcZ2/A1/3 - αΑ(Α-2Ζ)2/Α - δ(Α,Ζ) for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B] tried to to find the maximum binding energy by dEb/dA=0 for a given Z number. I came to the following equation where I substituted Z=32 as an example for Germanium:

2113.9 A2 - 11.4 A4/3 + 352.16 A2/3 + 67665.92 = 0

Now I can't find a way to solving for A. Only way to find A that I can see is by substituting numerically values for A and see when the equation is valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
gennarakis said:

Homework Statement

Knowing the Z (number of protons) of an element, how can I find N (number of neutrons) or A (mass number) of the element?

Homework Equations

I tried to use the semi-empirical mass formula EB = ανΑ - αsA2/3 - αcZ2/A1/3 - αΑ(Α-2Ζ)2/Α - δ(Α,Ζ) for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B] tried to to find the maximum binding energy by dEb/dA=0 for a given Z number. I came to the following equation where I substituted Z=32 as an example for Germanium:

2113.9 A2 - 11.4 A4/3 + 352.16 A2/3 + 67665.92 = 0

Now I can't find a way to solving for A.

This is not surprising, since the equation contains fractional exponents on the unknown variable A.

Only way to find A that I can see is by substituting numerically values for A and see when the equation is valid.

And your problem with this is what exactly?

You can also graph the equation, or use a numerical technique like Newton's method to find solutions.

This is an exams problem and you have a limited amount of time to solve it.

I suppose there isn't an exact method to solve for these fractional exponents..

Can you give me a hint for Newton's method..

gennarakis said:
This is an exams problem and you have a limited amount of time to solve it.

I suppose there isn't an exact method to solve for these fractional exponents..

Can you give me a hint for Newton's method..

Newton's method has many different references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_method

Since you are concerned about solving this equation during an exam, you can always use an iterative approach. After all, you are starting with a given Z, from which you can estimate a reasonable trial value of A for that particular element. The trial value would also work as an initial guess for Newton's method.

1. What is the definition of mass number A and atomic number Z?

Mass number A is the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom. Atomic number Z is the number of protons in the nucleus.

2. How do we determine the most stable nuclei?

The most stable nuclei are determined by the balance between the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together, and the electromagnetic force, which repels the positively charged protons. Nuclei with equal or close to equal numbers of protons and neutrons tend to be the most stable.

3. Can the mass number A and atomic number Z be the same for different elements?

No, the mass number A and atomic number Z are unique to each element. Different elements have different numbers of protons, which determines their atomic number, and the number of neutrons can vary, resulting in different mass numbers.

4. How do we calculate the mass number A if we know the atomic number Z?

To calculate the mass number A, simply add the number of protons (atomic number Z) to the number of neutrons in the nucleus. The number of neutrons can be determined by subtracting the atomic number from the mass number.

5. Why is it important to know the mass number A of the most stable nuclei?

Knowing the mass number A of the most stable nuclei is important for understanding the stability and behavior of atoms. It also helps in predicting the chemical properties and reactivity of different elements, as well as in nuclear reactions and nuclear energy production.