Find the mass of iron used in the experiment.

In summary, the student reacted an unknown mass of iron (Fe) in an excess of sulfuric acid (H2SO4), recording data such as temperature, pressure, and volume of dry hydrogen collected. Using the ideal gas equation and the ratio of moles of hydrogen to iron in the balanced equation, the mass of iron used in the experiment was calculated to be 0.0705 g. There may be an error in the given solution's calculation of the ratio, as it should be 3/2 rather than 2/3.
s3a

Homework Statement

"A student reacts an unknown mass of iron (Fe) in an excess of sulfuric acid
(H2SO4). The balanced equation is:
2 Fe(s) + 3sH2SO4(aq) → Fe2(SO4)3(aq) + 3 H2(g)
She records the following data:
23.0°C
Temperature
Pressure 98.4 kPa
Volume of dry hydrogen collected 47.3 mL
Find the mass of iron used in the experiment."

Homework Equations

PV = nRT and a ratio.

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution says (the formatting was ruined when I pasted this and I tried to fix it so if anything is left ruined by accident, sorry):
" Given: T = 23.0°C + 273 = 296 K; V = 0.0473 L; P = 98.4 kPa;
R = 8.31 kPa⋅L/mol⋅K, we can calculate the number of moles of hydrogen gas
produced by the ideal gas equation: n = PV/RT
n = (98.4 kPa)(0.0473 L)/(8.31 kPa⋅L/mol⋅K)(296 K)
n = 1.89 x 10^(-3) mol of H2
From the balanced equation:
2 Fe(s) + 3H2SO4(aq) → Fe2(SO4)3(aq) + 3 H2(g) hydrogen and iron
are in a ratio of 3:2 moles. There must, therefore, be 2/3(1.91 x 10^(-3) mol) of Fe
present, that is, 1.26 x 10^(-3) mol of Fe. Since the molar mass of Fe is 55.85g/mol,
this represents 0.0705 g of Fe."

but I don't see how 1.89 x 10^(-3) mol becomes 1.91 x 10^(-3) mol nor do I see why the ratio is 2/3 of approximately the number of moles of H_2; I think it should be 3/2 of exactly the number of moles of H_2 as shown in my work.

My attempt is attached. I'm feeling that I'm correct but could someone please confirm if I am right and the solution is wrong or tell me why I am wrong if I am wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked how many moles of IRON, not hydrogen. You know that the ratio of Fe:H2 is 2:3 and you know the exact value of hydrogen.

2Fe:3H2 or 2/3 the amount of hydrogen. ie. 2/3Fe:1H2

Isn't that what I did?:

n_Fe = 3/2 * n_(H_2)

(as shown in my attached work.)

Seems like that its a mistake from where you have copied the solution. If you calculate the 2/3 of 1.89, you get 1.26.

Oh, I got it now. Thanks guys!

1. How do you determine the mass of iron used in the experiment?

To determine the mass of iron used in the experiment, you will need to weigh the iron using a scale. Make sure to calibrate the scale beforehand and record the weight in grams.

2. Why is it important to find the mass of iron used in the experiment?

Finding the mass of iron used in the experiment is important because it helps to accurately calculate the amount of iron reacting in the experiment. This information is crucial in determining the efficiency and success of the experiment.

3. What units should be used when measuring the mass of iron?

The mass of iron should be measured in grams (g) since it is a small unit of measurement appropriate for the amount of iron typically used in experiments. However, larger quantities of iron may be measured in kilograms (kg).

4. Can the mass of iron used in the experiment vary?

Yes, the mass of iron used in the experiment can vary depending on factors such as the accuracy of the scale and the amount of iron needed for the experiment. It is important to use the same method and equipment each time to ensure consistency in the results.

5. Is the mass of iron used in the experiment the same as the weight?

No, the mass of iron refers to the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The mass of iron will remain the same regardless of location or gravitational pull, while the weight will vary.