Calculate Mass Percent of Fe in Ore Sample

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the mass percent of iron in an ore sample by dissolving it in HCl and then titrating it with K2Cr2O7. The balanced equation for the reaction is given and the importance of units in calculations is emphasized. The steps for finding the mass percent of iron are outlined, including converting units and using the balanced equation to determine the moles of iron present in the solution.
srana
An iron ore sample weighing 0.9292g is dissolved in HCl(aq), and the iron is obtained as Fe2+(aq). This solution is then titrated with 30.86mL of 5.027×10−2M K2Cr2O7(aq).

6Fe2++14H++Cr2O2−7→6Fe3++2Cr3++7H2O

So how would i go about finding the mass percent of Fe in the ore sample?

I tried multiplying 30.86ml with the 5.027×10−2M K2Cr2O7(aq) to find the mol of K2Cr2O7 but I have no idea what i am doing with that..Please respond as soon as you can! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you format things a bit nicer, makes it easier to read.

Anyway, your equation is 6Fe2+ + 14H+ + Cr2O72- → 6Fe3+ + 2Cr3+ +7H2O

If you have the amount of dichromate from your titration, what does the balanced equation tell you?

The units of molarity are moles/liter. How many liters are there in 30.86 ml? How many moles of dichromate were consumed in the titration? How many moles of iron are oxidized per mole of dichromate titrated? How many moles of iron were in the solution? How many grams of iron were there in the solution?

What is the formula for calculating mass percent of Fe in an ore sample?

The formula for calculating mass percent of Fe in an ore sample is (mass of Fe/mass of sample) x 100%.

How do I measure the mass of Fe in an ore sample?

You can measure the mass of Fe in an ore sample by first weighing the entire sample, then using a chemical reaction or separation method to isolate the Fe, and finally weighing the Fe to determine its mass.

Why is it important to calculate mass percent of Fe in an ore sample?

Calculating mass percent of Fe in an ore sample is important because it allows us to determine the amount of valuable Fe present in the sample. This information is crucial in determining the economic viability of mining and extracting the Fe from the ore.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating mass percent of Fe in an ore sample?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating mass percent of Fe in an ore sample include measurement errors, contamination of the sample, and incomplete separation of Fe from other minerals in the sample.

Can I use the same formula to calculate mass percent of other elements in an ore sample?

Yes, you can use the same formula to calculate mass percent of other elements in an ore sample. Simply substitute the mass of the desired element for the mass of Fe in the formula.