1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the maximum speed of the elevato

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A person of mass mp stands on a scale in an elevator of mass me . The scale reads the magnitude of the force F exerted on it from above in a downward direction. Starting at rest at t=0 the elevator moves upward, coming to rest again at time t=t_0. The downward acceleration of gravity is g . The acceleration of the elevator during this period is shown graphically above and is given analytically by ay(t)=α−2αt_0t

a) Find the maximum speed of the elevator. Express your answer in terms of α and t0

b) Find the total distance traveled by the elevator. Express your answer in terms of α and t0 (enter alpha for α and t_0 for t0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got part a right (answer is 1/4*alpha*t_0) but I don't know how to get b I tried integrating the velocity with repsect to t with the limits of t_0 and 0 and I got 1/4*a*t_0^2, but that is not right. Can someone please tell me what I;m doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2
    What is the velocity function and how do you integrate it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted