Liquidification of Helium under constant Enthelphy Condition

In summary: Are you hinting on that I could calculate alpha for each given value, assuming...Yes, you can calculate alpha for each given value.
Marcus95

Homework Statement

a)Helium enters a closed system as a flow of compressed gas at a temperature
of 14 K and at pressure p (enthalpy conserved). A fraction α emerges as liquid and the rest as gas at 14 K, both at atmospheric pressure p0. Find an expression for α in terms of the enthalpy H(p) of He gas and the enthalpy Hℓ of the liquid. [6]

b)From the data below, find the maximum value of α and the initial pressure p for
which this occurs. [4]

p/[atm] | H/[##10^4##J/kg] at 14 K

0 | 8.74

10| 7.85

20 | 7.31

30 | 7.18

40 | 7.26

[The enthalpy Hℓ of liquid He at p0 is ##1.01 × 10^4## J kg−1.]

Homework Equations

Enthalpy: ##H = U + pV ##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) In a closed flow process, enthalpy is conserved. Hence we must have:

$$ H(p) = \alpha H_l + (a-\alpha) H(p_0) $$

which simplifies to:
$$ \alpha = \frac{H(p) - H(p_0)}{H_l - H(p_0)} (\star) $$

to write this as a function of ##H_l## and ##H(p)## only, we somehow need to express ##H(p_0)## in the other functions.

The definition of enthalpy: I thought that if we take the helium to be an ideal monoatomic gas we simply have: $$H = \frac{3}{2} nRT + nRT = \frac{5}{2} nRT $$ or $$H = \frac{5}{2} RT/M $$ per kg (as that seems to be the prefferred unit), M being the molar mass.

However, the problem is that ##T = T_0 = 14 K##, hence the expression above would suggest that ##H(p_0) = H(p)## and ##\alpha = 0##. This must clearly be wrong and the helium cannot be modeled as an ideal gas.

Does anybody know how ##(\star)## can be simplified? Considering that 60% of the marks (old exam question) are awarded for this part there must be something more to it than this.

b) Nevertheless, I have tried to progress with the question here by simply interpolating H(p_0) linearly from the data given. It leaves me with:¨
$$\alpha = \frac{8.651 - H(p)}{7.641} $$
and this is a linear function without a maximum...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you assuming ideal gas behavior? It’s obviously not. Also, shouldn’t your equation have ##1-\alpha## ?

Chestermiller said:
Why are you assuming ideal gas behavior? It’s obviously not. Also, shouldn’t your equation have ##1-\alpha## ?

As mentioned in the post, I was assuming ideal gas behaviour but realized it didn't work. This is the reason I am asking for help, to find alternatives.

Yes, the equation is a typo. It should indeed read ##1-\alpha##

Marcus95 said:
As mentioned in the post, I was assuming ideal gas behaviour but realized it didn't work. This is the reason I am asking for help, to find alternatives.

Yes, the equation is a typo. It should indeed read ##1-\alpha##
So, what do you get for alpha as a function of p?

Chestermiller said:
So, what do you get for alpha as a function of p?
Well the enthalphy is defined as ##H = U + pV ##, or as a differential: ##dH = TdS + V dp## which means that it is indeed a function of p, but what kind of function I don't know. Should I assume a van der Walls gas instead of an ideal one? Would that help?

Marcus95 said:
Well the enthalphy is defined as ##H = U + pV ##, or as a differential: ##dH = TdS + V dp## which means that it is indeed a function of p, but what kind of function I don't know. Should I assume a van der Walls gas instead of an ideal one? Would that help?
Using the table, what is the value of alpha at each pressure?

Likes Marcus95
Chestermiller said:
Using the table, what is the value of alpha at each pressure?
Alright, so using the table I can see that by choosing the value at 30 atm, ie the approximate minimum of the H function, I get the maximum alpha. This solves the second part of the question.

Now only the first part remains, ie how to express ## \alpha ## in ##H(p)## and ##H_l## only. Any hint on this?

Marcus95 said:
Alright, so using the table I can see that by choosing the value at 30 atm, ie the approximate minimum of the H function, I get the maximum alpha. This solves the second part of the question.

Now only the first part remains, ie how to express ## \alpha ## in ##H(p)## and ##H_l## only. Any hint on this?
$$\alpha=\frac{H(p)-H(p_0)}{H(p)-H_l(p_0)}$$

Chestermiller said:
$$\alpha=\frac{H(p)-H(p_0)}{H(p)-H_l(p_0)}$$
well yes, that was my initial answer! Does that mean that it cannot be further simplified?

Marcus95 said:
well yes, that was my initial answer! Does that mean that it cannot be further simplified?
That is all you need to quantify the relationship between alpha and P (using the data that has been supplied to you in this problem.)

Chestermiller said:
That is all you need to quantify the relationship between alpha and P (using the data that has been supplied to you in this problem.)
Are you hinting on that I could calculate alpha for each given value, assuming a linear interpolation for ##H(P_0)##?
Or that I should leave it as it is considering the questions says: " Find an expression for α in terms of the enthalpy H(p) of He gas and the enthalpy Hℓ of the liquid. "? and the overall H(p) function is not nicely linear?

Marcus95 said:
Are you hinting on that I could calculate alpha for each given value, assuming a linear interpolation for ##H(P_0)##?
Or that I should leave it as it is considering the questions says: " Find an expression for α in terms of the enthalpy H(p) of He gas and the enthalpy Hℓ of the liquid. "? and the overall H(p) function is not nicely linear?
Part (b) requires you to actually calculate alpha. How you do the interpolation to get H(p0) is up to you.

Likes Marcus95

1. What is the process of liquidification of helium under constant enthalpy condition?

The process of liquidification of helium under constant enthalpy condition involves decreasing the temperature of helium gas while keeping the enthalpy (heat content) constant. This causes the gas to condense and turn into a liquid state.

2. Why is constant enthalpy condition important in the liquidification of helium?

Constant enthalpy condition is important because it ensures that the heat content of the helium gas remains the same throughout the process of liquidification. This helps to prevent any energy loss and ensures that the liquid helium is of high purity.

3. What is the significance of liquid helium in scientific research?

Liquid helium is an important tool in scientific research due to its unique properties. It has the lowest boiling point of any element, making it useful for cooling materials to extremely low temperatures. It is also used in cryogenics and superconductivity studies.

4. How is liquid helium produced commercially?

Liquid helium is produced commercially through a process called the cryogenic distillation process. This involves cooling and compressing helium gas to a liquid state, and then purifying it through multiple stages of distillation. The liquid helium is then stored in insulated containers for transportation and use.

5. What are the safety precautions for handling liquid helium?

Liquid helium is extremely cold and can cause severe frostbite if it comes in contact with skin. It is also an asphyxiant, meaning it can displace oxygen in a closed space. Therefore, proper protective gear and ventilation should be used when handling liquid helium. In addition, it should be stored and transported in well-insulated containers to prevent any accidents related to extreme cold temperatures.