1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimum amount of energy required to eject electron

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the minimum amount of energy required to eject electron from the metal surface inside the h/e apparatus's photodiode.

2. Relevant equations
    Photoelectric Effect Equation
    E = hf = hc/ wavelength = eV0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does the metal surface inside the h/e apparatus photodiode refers to the stopping voltage ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2
    You want to experimental investigation or theorical?

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3
    Experimental investigation

From the collected data , I have plotted a stopping voltage versus frequency graph. I have the following values
    work function (eV) , Planck constant , threshold frequency

I need to know what does the matal surface inside the h/e apparatus photodiode refer to in order to solve this question

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4
    If you obtain v0 , hv0 is energy required to eject one electron because in photoelectric effect each electron absorb single photon and before consume its energy can not absorb another photon. Therefore hv0 is bounding energy of electron in metal

6. Apr 4, 2015 #5
    Hmm what is hV0 ? I mean the h
    Is it Planck constant? h? Or other thing?

7. Apr 4, 2015 #6
    h is Planck constant and v0 is threshold frequency and hv0 is photon energy of incident wave.

8. Apr 5, 2015 #7
    Hi
    I have found the the threshold frequency for this equation but I have one more problem.
    Which planck constant should i use to solve this question?
    What I mean is because in my previous question(not shown here) , I was asked the determine the planck constant through experimental result and I have found out that the planck constant is equal to 6.69 x10^-34.

so should i use the standard planck constant or the experimental constant that i found out?

9. Apr 5, 2015 #8
    Use standard value for Planck constant which is equal to 6.626×10^-34 with dimension j.s .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted