Find the minimum amount of energy required to eject electron

In summary, the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron from the metal surface inside the h/e apparatus's photodiode can be found using the Photoelectric Effect Equation, E = hf = hc/wavelength = eV0. The metal surface inside the photodiode refers to the stopping voltage, and this can be determined through an experimental investigation using the standard value for Planck constant, 6.626×10^-34 (with dimension j.s.). The threshold frequency, v0, is the photon energy of the incident wave, and it represents the bounding energy of the electron in the metal.
CKaiL

Homework Statement

Find the minimum amount of energy required to eject electron from the metal surface inside the h/e apparatus's photodiode.

Homework Equations

Photoelectric Effect Equation
E = hf = hc/ wavelength = eV0

The Attempt at a Solution

Does the metal surface inside the h/e apparatus photodiode refers to the stopping voltage ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to experimental investigation or theorical?

Experimental investigation

From the collected data , I have plotted a stopping voltage versus frequency graph. I have the following values
work function (eV) , Planck constant , threshold frequency

I need to know what does the matal surface inside the h/e apparatus photodiode refer to in order to solve this question

If you obtain v0 , hv0 is energy required to eject one electron because in photoelectric effect each electron absorb single photon and before consume its energy can not absorb another photon. Therefore hv0 is bounding energy of electron in metal

Hmm what is hV0 ? I mean the h
Is it Planck constant? h? Or other thing?

h is Planck constant and v0 is threshold frequency and hv0 is photon energy of incident wave.

Hi
I have found the the threshold frequency for this equation but I have one more problem.
Which Planck constant should i use to solve this question?
What I mean is because in my previous question(not shown here) , I was asked the determine the Planck constant through experimental result and I have found out that the Planck constant is equal to 6.69 x10^-34.

so should i use the standard Planck constant or the experimental constant that i found out?

Use standard value for Planck constant which is equal to 6.626×10^-34 with dimension j.s .

1. What is the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron?

The minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron is known as the work function, which is a characteristic of the material from which the electron is being ejected. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to overcome the attractive forces between the electron and the material's atoms.

2. How is the minimum energy required to eject an electron calculated?

The minimum energy required to eject an electron can be calculated using the formula E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the incident light. This is known as the photoelectric effect, where photons of light transfer their energy to the electrons in the material, allowing them to overcome the work function and be ejected.

3. What factors affect the minimum energy required to eject an electron?

The minimum energy required to eject an electron can be affected by several factors, including the material's work function, the intensity of the incident light, and the wavelength of the light. Materials with a higher work function will require more energy to eject an electron, while increasing the intensity or decreasing the wavelength of the light will also increase the energy needed.

4. Can the minimum energy required to eject an electron be lower than the work function?

No, the minimum energy required to eject an electron cannot be lower than the work function of the material. The work function represents the minimum amount of energy needed to overcome the attractive forces between the electron and the material's atoms, and therefore, any energy lower than this will not be enough to eject the electron.

5. How is the minimum energy required to eject an electron used in practical applications?

The minimum energy required to eject an electron has many practical applications, such as in photovoltaic cells, where it is used to convert light energy into electrical energy. It is also used in devices such as photocells and electron microscopes. Understanding the minimum energy required for the photoelectric effect has also led to advancements in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of electrons.