What will be the energy required to make 1 electron escape?

In summary, the homework statement discusses the equation E=hc/lamda, and how it relates to the energy incident on the surface and the energy required to make one electron escape. The problem asks for the energy transmitted to the sample and how much of it is capable of freeing electrons. The solution is to use the 4.5eV and equate it to the energy of the ejected electrons.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

20171116_193411-1.jpg

Homework Equations

E=hc/lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get the amount of energy incident on the surface (3%of Intensity×Area)
What will be the energy required to make 1 electron escape?
(4.5eV+hc/250nm )?
Then I divide total energy by energy to make 1 electron escape.
Unfortunately,the calc gives the answer to be 2×10^10
Which ain't in the options..
Help appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171116_193411-1.jpg
    20171116_193411-1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 708
Physics news on Phys.org
Two comments:

(1) Read the problem again. Only 4% of the energy is absorbed, and only 3% of that is energetic enough to eject an electron.

(2) Why use the 4.5eV at all? The problem tells you what percentage of the photons are energetic enough to eject an electron. How much energy do those photons have?

phyzguy said:
How much energy do those photons have?
10^-6 Joules per second
phyzguy said:
Why use the 4.5eV at all?
Ohhk..Then I just equate 3percent of this energy to x times hc /lamda?

No..i think I mixed up things..

It will help if you first think about what is happening physically. You have a bunch of photons hitting the surface of the sample. In order to be free any electrons, the photon has to first be transmitted. If it is transmitted, it has to also have enough energy to free the electron. To solve this problem it is hopefully clear that we need to know how many photons make it through these two stages.

Try to answer these questions.

In one second, how much energy is transmitted to the sample?

Now much of this transmitted energy is actually able to free electrons?

Ooo..ok,i got it.
We don't need the Work function because the question already gave us that only 3% OF 4% of the incident energy is already capable of emitting electrons.
I just need to equate 0.12% of incident energy to the energy of the ejected electrons.
Answer's coming
Thanks,both of ya

What is the definition of "energy required" in this context?

The energy required refers to the minimum amount of energy needed for an electron to overcome the attractive forces of the nucleus and escape from an atom.

What factors affect the energy required for an electron to escape?

The energy required for an electron to escape is affected by the atomic number of the element, the distance from the nucleus, and the strength of the attractive forces between the nucleus and the electron.

How is the energy required for an electron to escape measured?

The energy required for an electron to escape is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). It can be calculated using the Rydberg formula or experimentally measured using spectroscopy techniques.

What is the relationship between energy required and the ionization energy of an atom?

The energy required for an electron to escape is equal to the ionization energy of an atom. The ionization energy is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the ground state of an atom. It is a measure of the strength of the attractive forces between the nucleus and the electron.

How does the energy required for an electron to escape vary among different elements?

The energy required for an electron to escape varies among different elements due to differences in atomic structure and the strength of the attractive forces between the nucleus and the electron. Elements with higher atomic numbers and stronger attractive forces will require more energy for an electron to escape compared to elements with lower atomic numbers.