Find the number of ways the cake can be shared among two people

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
In summary, the plate of cakes can have a maximum of 220 different arrangements. The number of ways the brownies can be arranged in a row is 8467200.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is from an A level past paper question;

i. A plate of cake holds ##12## different cakes. Find the number of ways these cakes can be shared between Alex and James if each receives an odd number of cakes.
Relevant Equations
Stats
I went through the question; find the mark scheme here;

1671529387485.png

Well i can follow the mark scheme steps but i need some clarity or rather insight. The ##12## cakes are being shared to the two persons. In my understanding the odd numbers are;

##[1,3,5,7,9,11]## Now this means that they may each get ##1## cake in ##1 ×11C_1## ways or alternatively ##^{12}C_1×2##persons...

...are they not supposed to have ##2048 ×2##?

Supposing it was ##13## people instead of ##2## ...Would the steps still be the same as shown on the markscheme? A bit confusing...

your insight appreciated...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: This is a past paper question;

A plate of cake holds ##12## different cakes. Find the number of ways these cakes can be shared between Alex and James if each receives an odd number of cakes.
Relevant Equations:: Stats

I went through the question; find the mark scheme here;

View attachment 319104

Well i can follow the mark scheme steps but i need some clarity or rather insight. The ##12## cakes are being shared to the two persons. In my understanding the odd numbers are;

##[1,3,5,7,9,11]## Now this means that they may each get ##1## cake in ##1 ×11C_1## ways or alternatively ##12C_1×2##persons...

My understanding (which is consistent with the mark scheme) is that they can't each get one cake: If Alex gets one cake then James gets the remaining 11. There are [itex]{}^{12}C_{1} = {}^{12}C_{11} = 12[/itex] ways to achieve this.

Likes chwala and PeroK
pasmith said:
My understanding (which is consistent with the mark scheme) is that they can't each get one cake: If Alex gets one cake then James gets the remaining 11. There are [itex]{}^{12}C_{1} = {}^{12}C_{11} = 12[/itex] ways to achieve this.
Ok, that's clear now, maybe i was not interpreting the language correctly... :cool:

... I get it now [itex]{}^{12}C_{3} = {}^{12}C_{9} = 220[/itex] ways ...

This is the second part of the question; i do not seem to get it.

ii. Another plate holds ##7## cup cakes, each with a different colour icing, and ##4## Brownies, each of a different size. Find the number of different ways these ##11## cakes can be arranged in a row if no Brownie is next to another Brownie.

Find the solution here;

1671587558301.png

In my understanding, they clamped the Brownies together i.e

1234567Brownie

Its clear to me that the ##7## cup cakes can be arranged in ##7!## ways no problem there... now when it come to the Brownies, i do not seem to understand the ##^8P_4## ways. Does the ##4## apply to Brownies only or all....

Unless the reasoning is like this;

BBBB
but each cell having the Brownie can arranged in ##4!# ways...secondly supposing we amend the question to all Brownies have to be next to each other, then how would this look like?

cheers

My other reasoning on this; since we do not want the brownies to be next to each other then the only possibility would be to have barriers in between i.e the cup cakes, that is;

BCBCBCBC
The cup cakes can be arranged like earlier stated in ##7!## ways...In whichever way we arrange them it does not matter as long as their sum total (cup cakes) =7.

For e.g;

B4Cup CakesBCBCBC

or

B2 Cup cakesB1 CupcakeB3 Cup cakesB1 Cupcake
Now we have ##8## elements implying that the brownies can be arranged in ##^8P_4## ways...giving us the desired; ##7! ×^8P_4=8467200## ways.

Cheers! Bingo!

Last edited:

1. How many ways can a cake be shared between two people?

There are two ways to share a cake between two people: dividing it equally into two pieces, or having one person take the entire cake while the other gets nothing.

2. Can the cake be shared unequally?

Yes, the cake can be shared unequally by dividing it into different sized pieces. For example, one person could have a larger piece while the other has a smaller piece.

3. Is there a limit to the number of pieces the cake can be divided into?

No, there is no limit to the number of pieces the cake can be divided into. As long as the cake is physically able to be cut into smaller pieces, it can be divided into as many pieces as desired.

4. Can the cake be shared among more than two people?

Yes, the cake can be shared among any number of people. The number of ways the cake can be shared will increase as the number of people increases.

5. Are there any special considerations when sharing a cake among two people?

One special consideration when sharing a cake among two people is ensuring that the pieces are divided equally and fairly, especially if the cake is being shared for a special occasion or celebration. Additionally, dietary restrictions or preferences should be taken into account when sharing the cake.