Find the object's acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses two exercises involving finding the acceleration and work done on an object being pulled on a horizontal plane and the energy conversion and velocity of an object falling from a height of 200m. The relevant equations for these exercises are F=ma and Ek=mv^2/2, and it is important to understand the concept of work as the transfer or conversion of energy. The second exercise also involves air resistance, which needs to be taken into account when finding the velocity of the object when it hits the ground.
Kerdo
Hello!
Would love a quick explanation of these two exercises :)

1. Homework Statement

1) Find objects acceleration, when mass is 200kg and it is being pulled on a horizontal plane with a force of 2000N. How much work is done on 400m road?
2) An object fell from 200m. How much of its energy was converted to work, which deformed land when air resistance was 50N? What was the velocity of the object when it hit the ground? Which would have been the velocity if there was no air resistance?

Homework Equations

F = ma;
Ek = mv^2/2;

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Found the acceleration with the formula of Newton's second law, but couldn't go forward.
2) Don't get the air resistance part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kerdo

:welcome:
Kerdo said:
1) Found the acceleration with the formula of Newton's second law, but couldn't go forward.

What do you mean you couldn't go forward? If you're referring to work what is the relevant equation?

Kerdo said:

What have you tried for this so far?

Likes PeroK
Kerdo said:
Hello!
Would love a quick explanation of these two exercises :)

1. Homework Statement

1) Find objects acceleration, when mass is 200kg and it is being pulled on a horizontal plane with a force of 2000N. How much work is done on 400m road?
2) An object fell from 200m. How much of its energy was converted to work, which deformed land when air resistance was 50N? What was the velocity of the object when it hit the ground? Which would have been the velocity if there was no air resistance?

Homework Equations

F = ma;
Ek = mv^2/2;

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1) What do you know about work? What is work?

QuantumQuest said:
Hello Kerdo

:welcome:

What do you mean you couldn't go forward? If you're referring to work what is the relevant equation?
What have you tried for this so far?
Thanks for your reply!

1) I was able to calculate the acceleration of the object which was (10 m/s^2). But didn't know how to go forward, I know that the object had kinetic energy, but there I need the velocity and for velocity I need time.

2) I haven't done any exercises with air resistance, it seems like: object is falling with velocity x, so I have to calculate the force and subtract the air resistance?

PeroK said:
For 1) What do you know about work? What is work?
Thanks for your reply!

I know that work is the energy that gets lost when an object does something (am I correct?).

There is an equation relating work to force and something else that is listed in the question.

This equation will help with both questions.

Work = force * ?

Kerdo said:
I know that work is the energy that gets lost when an object does something (am I correct?).

No. Have you learned about work? Work expresses transfer of energy or conversion of energy from one form to another. There is an equation for work, as pointed out by CWatters, relating work, force and one more thing. Can you write it down?

CWatters said:
There is an equation relating work to force and something else that is listed in the question.

This equation will help with both questions.

Work = force * ?

Thanks for your reply!

work = force * distance

that means, 100% of potential energy is converted to work? And from there I can calculate the force and subtract the air resistance?

For the second exercise I got:

Ep = mgh, Ek = mv^2/2
Ep = Ek, mgh = mv^2/2 => gh = v^2/2 => v = sqrt(2gh)
so v ~= 62,6m/s without the air resistance.

How do I subtract the air resistance from there?

Sorry, have been studying for preliminary exam for like 4 hours and it's all so confusing :D

Kerdo said:
work = force * distance

The equation is Work = Force • Displacement • Cosine(theta) or ##W = F\cdot s\cdot \cos(\theta)## where ##\theta## is the angle between force and displacement. If the displacement takes place horizontally##^*## then this angle is ##0^{\circ}## and the equation becomes ##W = F\cdot s##. Can you finish the first question?

##^*##
and the force is collinear and in the same direction

Last edited:
I think I figured this out!

1)
a = F/m => a = 2000/200 = 10m/s^2
A = Fs => A = mas => A = 200 * 10 * 400 = 800000J = 800kJ
And it seems to be correct.

For the second one I'm not sure how to use the air resistance.

Kerdo said:
I think I figured this out!

1)
a = F/m => a = 2000/200 = 10m/s^2
A = Fs => A = mas => A = 200 * 10 * 400 = 800000J = 800kJ
And it seems to be correct.

Yes it is correct. There is no need to recalculate ##F##, it is given.

Kerdo said:

Note that the problem does not give the mass of the object, so you cannot calculate the force exerted on the object downwards. You're given only the air resistance. So what does this mean in terms of the method you will use?

EDIT: It is also a good idea to learn to use Latex. You can find help using the link which is right below your post editor on the left bottom ("?LaTeX / BBcode Guides").

Kerdo said:

The air resistance is a force and you know the displacement.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, it is the measure of how quickly an object's speed or direction changes.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity changes. In other words, velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

4. How can you determine an object's acceleration from a position vs. time graph?

To determine an object's acceleration from a position vs. time graph, you can calculate the slope of the graph. The slope represents the object's velocity, and the change in slope over time indicates the object's acceleration.

5. What factors can affect an object's acceleration?

An object's acceleration can be affected by the object's mass, the amount of force acting on the object, and the object's direction of motion. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect an object's acceleration.