1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the one dimensional particle motion in a given potential

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    I'm not looking for a solution, but rather trying to understand the question.

We've been given a series of potentials, U(x), and have been told to find the one-dimensional particle motion in them. For example:

U(x) = V(tan^2(cx)), V>0

My initial reaction was just to solve it for x(t), but after having found a(x), I'm not so sure that this is possible analytically... (I can't visualise a solution to -ma=2cV(tan(cx))(1+tan^2(cx))

So perhaps the question is asking to find the period of the oscillatory motion? But it certainly doesn't look like that's what it's asking...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2
    Well I've tried to think of a nice trick using the chain rule or similar, but can't solve [tex] -\frac{1}{m}\frac{d}{dt}x(t)= U(x(t))[/tex]. Could it be you just have to qualitatively describe the resultant motion, or will all of your potentials result in oscillation?

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well U(x) = V(tan2(cx)), V>0, has an equilibrium point about x = 0.

tan2 x is an even function about x = 0.

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    since 'a' is a function of x, you can use a = vdv/dx to get v as function of x and then v = dx/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?