1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One Dimensional motion of particle in a potential field

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    A classical particle constrained to move in one dimension (x) is in the potential field V(x) = V0(x – a)(x –b)/(x – c)^2, 0 < a < b < c < ∞.
    a. Make a sketch of V
    b. Discuss the possible motions, forbidden domains, and turning points. Specifically, if the
    particle is known to be at x → ∞ with E = 3V0(b – 4a + 3c)/(c – b), at which value of x
    does it reflect?

I'm not sure how to approach this problem any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Saban, and welcome to PF.
    Here's my tip:
    Start with a)

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3
    Thanks I have it drawn and reviewed it with my professor who told me the sketch is correct. I'm still not sure as to how to complete part b though.

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't have your sketch, but I can kind of telepatically pick it up :smile:
    So you see a big peak at x=c. And a minimum between a and b. Right ?

Good that you already did the first discussion in part b) and now want to complete it.

In the completion of part b the particle comes from the right, with a given E.
    Is it clear to you that it doesn't have enough energy to get to x < c ?

So what you know about the turning point is that at that point there is no more kinetic energy, just potential energy.
    Since the given E(x≈∞) = Ekin(x≈∞) + V(x≈∞) is the same as E at the turning point x, you obtain an equation in x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted