Find the particalur equation for the given initial conditions

In summary, the method I tried didn't seem to work. I used Euler's formula to solve the equation and got y(x) = e-x(5cosx +5sinx). The solution to the characteristic equation was (after work with Euler's formula) y(x) = e^{\alpha t} (c_1 cos(\beta t) + c_2 sin(\beta t)). The imaginary part of the solution to the characteristic equation is e^{-i\alpha t}
katehovey
Find the particleur equation for the given initial conditions:-

1/2y'' + y' + 13y = 0 ; y(0) = 5, y'(0) = 0

The only method I know how to solve these doesn't seem to work. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What method did you try? You know that its homogeneous. What is its characteristic equation?

Last edited:
Sorry I think I've worked out how to do it. I use Euler's formula?

The answer I got was y(x) = e-x(5cosx +5sinx)

Is that correct?

No, you should get that if through your calculation of the characteristic equation the roots are complex then it will be of the form
[tex]roots = \alpha + i\beta[/tex]
where
[tex] \alpha = \frac{-b}{2a}[/tex]
and
[tex] \beta = \frac{\sqrt{\Delta}}{2a}[/tex]

the general solution will be given by (after work with Euler's formula):
[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha t} (c_1 cos(\beta t) + c_2 sin(\beta t)[/tex]

Use the initial conditions to determine c1 and c2.

I think that's what I did...:frown:

Do you have a problem with showing your work? In your first post you said you had solved the problem but didn't think your solution was correct- but you didn't show us how you solved it. You didn't even tell us your solution until you were specifically asked and then still wouldn't say how you got it. The problem is that there are several different errors you could have made. We don't know which one you actually made until we see your solution.

I'm sorry. I was in rush and didn't know how to put the symbols etc I was using on here.

katehovey said:
The answer I got was y(x) = e-x(5cosx +5sinx)

Is that correct?
What did you get as the solutions to the characteristic equation?

Remember that if [itex]a\pm bi[/itex] satisfy the characteristic equation, then the general solution to the differential equation is
[tex]e^{ax}(C_1cos(bx)+ C_2sin(bx))[/tex]
In particular, what is the imaginary part of the solution to the characteristic equation?

Thanks Mindscape - I will use symbols in future and I'm sorry HallsofIvy, I handed the work in this morning and no longer have it.

Related to Find the particalur equation for the given initial conditions

1. How do I find the particular equation for a given set of initial conditions?

To find the particular equation for a given set of initial conditions, you will need to apply the principles of calculus. Start by setting up the general equation and then use the initial conditions to solve for any unknown constants. This will give you the particular equation that satisfies the given initial conditions.

2. What are initial conditions in the context of finding a particular equation?

Initial conditions refer to the known values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point in time or space. These values are used to determine the unknown constants in the particular equation.

3. Can I use any initial conditions to find the particular equation?

No, the initial conditions must be consistent with the given equation. For example, if the equation is a linear function, the initial conditions must be linear as well. Using inconsistent initial conditions will result in an incorrect particular equation.

4. Do I always need to find the particular equation for a given set of initial conditions?

Not necessarily. In some cases, the particular equation may already be given or may not be needed for the specific problem at hand. However, in many cases, finding the particular equation is necessary to fully describe the behavior of the system.

5. What is the significance of finding the particular equation?

The particular equation allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of a system based on the given initial conditions. It also helps us understand the relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering.