Find the point of destructive interference of two waves.

This means that the phase difference between the two sources will change over time.In summary, the problem involves two coherent in-phase point sources of sound located at (-2 m, 0 m) and (2 m, 0 m) with a wavelength of 0.9 m. The condition for destructive interference to occur is when the sources are out of phase by 180 degrees. However, because the waves are moving, the phase difference between the sources will change over time.
HunterDX77M

Homework Statement

Two coherent in-phase point sources of sound are located at the points (-2 m, 0 m) and (2 m, 0 m). If the wavelength of the sound is 0.9 m, at which of the following x values on the x-axis does destructive interference occur?

Homework Equations

Wave Equation:
y(x, t) = Acos(kx + ωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to even start this one. Could someone just nudge me in the right direction? This is the last practice problem I have to do, but I am really stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, maybe start with this: what is the condition for destructive interference to occur?

Well, let's see. They have to be out of phase by 180 degrees. But the part that confuses me is that the problem says they have the same phase.

HunterDX77M said:
Well, let's see. They have to be out of phase by 180 degrees. But the part that confuses me is that the problem says they have the same phase.
The sources are in phase.

However, the waves move and that's at a finite speed.

I understand your frustration with this problem. Finding the point of destructive interference of two waves requires a good understanding of wave properties and equations. Let's break down the problem step by step to help you find the solution.

First, let's define some key terms. Coherent means that the two waves have the same frequency and are in phase, meaning they have the same starting point and are moving in sync. In-phase means that the two waves have the same amplitude and wavelength.

Next, let's recall the wave equation: y(x, t) = Acos(kx + ωt). This equation represents a wave with amplitude A, wavelength λ, and angular frequency ω. The variable k represents the wave number and is equal to 2π/λ.

Now, let's apply this equation to the problem at hand. The two point sources of sound are located at (-2 m, 0 m) and (2 m, 0 m), which means they are both emitting waves along the x-axis. The wavelength of the sound is given as 0.9 m, so we can calculate the wave number as k = 2π/0.9 = 7π/5.

To find the point of destructive interference, we need to determine where the two waves cancel each other out. This occurs when the amplitude of one wave is equal to the negative amplitude of the other wave. In other words, when the two waves are 180 degrees out of phase.

Using our wave equation, we can set the two waves equal to each other and solve for x:

Acos(kx + ωt) = -Acos(kx + ωt)

Since the frequencies and amplitudes are the same for both waves, we can cancel them out:

cos(kx + ωt) = -cos(kx + ωt)

Next, we can use the trigonometric identity cos(x) = -cos(x + π) to simplify the equation:

cos(kx + ωt) = cos(kx + ωt + π)

This means that the two waves will cancel each other out at any point where kx + ωt + π = 0. Solving for x, we get:

kx + ωt + π = 0

7πx/5 + ωt + π = 0

7πx/5 = -π

x = -

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the resulting wave.

2. How do you find the point of destructive interference?

The point of destructive interference can be found by calculating the path difference between the two waves. This is the difference in distance that each wave has traveled before meeting. When the path difference is equal to half of the wavelength, destructive interference occurs.

3. What is the significance of finding the point of destructive interference?

Finding the point of destructive interference is important in understanding the behavior of waves. It allows us to predict where destructive interference will occur and how it will affect the overall wave pattern. This is useful in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and seismology.

4. Can destructive interference be used to cancel out unwanted noise?

Yes, destructive interference can be used to cancel out unwanted noise. By creating a wave with the same amplitude and opposite phase as the unwanted noise, the two waves will cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in overall noise.

5. Are there any real-life applications of destructive interference?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of destructive interference. It is used in noise-cancelling headphones, anti-reflective coatings on lenses, and in seismic exploration to locate oil and gas deposits underground.