Find the position of the lens between two holes and screen

In summary: I don't understand what you mean by "rays going through focal point come out parallel to the optical axis". Is it this?And then I should start with the ray that follows rule 3. But I am not sure what is the center in this case.Yes, that's the right idea. But the drawing you have is still not quite right.I think what's confusing you is that you're using a "classic" problem-solving approach (mathematical equations) to solve a graphical problem. You need to think about the geometry of the situation, not just the equations.So, you start with a ray that passes through the centre of the lens (which you've drawn). Then, you need to think about what
moenste

Homework Statement

An opaque card is pierced by two small holes 4 mm apart and strongly illuminated from one side. A lens on the other side of the card focuses images of the holes, 16 mm apart, on a screen 125 cm from the card. Find: (a) the position of the lens, (bc) the focal length. Why are measurements of the object and image sizes in this experiment arrangement unlikely to yield a reliable value for the focal length of the lens?

Answers: (a) 25 cm from card, (b) 20 cm.

2. The attempt at a solution
(b) 1 / u + 1 / v = 1 / f
1 / 25 + 1 / (125-100) = 1 / f
f = 20 cm

Besides that I don't quite understand how to find the 25 cm from the card. I also don't quite understand what do the 16 mm represent.

This is how see it:
e992b467e5d1.jpg

We have two holes which are 4 mm apart. We need to find the distance to the lens (a). 16 mm (wrongly on the image cm) is the distance between the projected light.

Having all this I don't know what to proceed with.

For the "Why are measurements of the object and image sizes in this experiment arrangement unlikely to yield a reliable value for the focal length of the lens?" maybe this is because of the two holes and not one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 16 mm is the distance on the screen between the images of the holes. So you have an enlargement factor. Comes in handy for the v and u !

You verified (b) using the book answer of 25 cm for (a) ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
The 16 mm is the distance on the screen between the images of the holes. So you have an enlargement factor. Comes in handy for the v and u !
Re-made the graph:
78f634ec8fec.jpg

If it's correct I still don't see what to start with :\

You verified (b) using the book answer of 25 cm for (a) ?
Yes, just checked whether my assumption for (b) was correct.

So far we have ##\displaystyle {1\over v} +{1\over u}={1\over f} \ ## and ## u + v = 1.25 ## m, so we need one more equation. Did you notice my hint about the enlargement factor ? can you use it to bring in something about one or more of the unknowns ?

And then we are going to come up with a decent drawing. This one looks like a shower design and it's below your standards :wink:

Likes moenste
BvU said:
So far we have ##\displaystyle {1\over v} +{1\over u}={1\over f} \ ## and ## u + v = 1.25 ## m, so we need one more equation. Did you notice my hint about the enlargement factor ? can you use it to bring in something about one or more of the unknowns ?
Now I get it. You meant magnification by the "enlargement factor"?

m = himage / hobjective = v / u
m = (0.016) / (4 * 10-3) = 4
4 u = v

And because we have u + v = 1.25
u + 4 u = 1.25
5 u = 1.25
u = 0.25 m or 25 cm

Right?

And (b) using the 1 / u + 1 / v = 1 / f as I used in my first post.

And then we are going to come up with a decent drawing. This one looks like a shower design and it's below your standards :wink:
This is how see it :).
260718f2cc4d.jpg

I get the (a) and (b) parts. But why "Why are measurements of the object and image sizes in this experiment arrangement unlikely to yield a reliable value for the focal length of the lens?"? Is it because there are two holes and so the reliability decreases (one hole would be more reliable)? Also don't quite understand what to start with here.

Nice of you to like my compliment (#4).
Reason I bring in the drawing is simple: There are three things you know when drawing object, positive thin lens and image:
  1. rays going through focal point come out parallel to the optical axis
  2. rays coming in parallel go through focal point
  3. rays going through center go through unaffected
Now look at this rule 3 ! That alone is enough to solve this whole exercise (a) "graphically" ! And either one of the others gives the solution for (b)

However, you misinterpreted these rules (I try to keep it as positive as possible).
The lens is convex, so it should bend rays towards the optical axis, not away from it.
Start with rule 3 when re-drawing !
(Hint: is the image upside up or upside down ?)

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Nice of you to like my compliment (#4).
Reason I bring in the drawing is simple: There are three things you know when drawing object, positive thin lens and image:
  1. rays going through focal point come out parallel to the optical axis
  2. rays coming in parallel go through focal point
  3. rays going through center go through unaffected
Now look at this rule 3 ! That alone is enough to solve this whole exercise (a) "graphically" ! And either one of the others gives the solution for (b)

However, you misinterpreted these rules (I try to keep it as positive as possible).
The lens is convex, so it should bend rays towards the optical axis, not away from it.
Start with rule 3 when re-drawing !
(Hint: is the image upside up or upside down ?)
f3ff75c391ce.jpg

So the image is upside down like here
F_23_2.gif

Nice picture ! I see the 20 cm focal distance to the right of the lens (on the image side).

But not on the object side. You omitted the ray that would follow rule 1 -- to save space ? Or was the 'object' of 23-2 distracting you ? :rolleyes:

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Nice picture ! I see the 20 cm focal distance to the right of the lens (on the image side).

But not on the object side. You omitted the ray that would follow rule 1 -- to save space ? Or was the 'object' of 23-2 distracting you ? :rolleyes:
Very sorry for not replying earlier. Continued to study other topics and decided to come back when I'm done.

I think now everything should be correct :). The middle rays go staight to the images, the parallel go through the F and these which go through F' are parallel.

4cc3462ffff4.jpg

But I still don't quite understand "Why are measurements of the object and image sizes in this experiment arrangement unlikely to yield a reliable value for the focal length of the lens?"

I'm proud of your drawing ! Well done. Rapid progress in quality over the various posts ! (*)

Re reliability: Not really sure. Measuring an object size of 4 mm maybe isn't all that easy. Or the image won't be as sharp as desirable ?
Why don't you do the experiment with the lens of your camera or some other lens ?

(*) And here I should probably concede that the post #7 picture was correct as well -- but that's what you get with such high expectations :rolleyes:

Likes moenste
BvU said:
I'm proud of your drawing ! Well done. Rapid progress in quality over the various posts ! (*)

Re reliability: Not really sure. Measuring an object size of 4 mm maybe isn't all that easy. Or the image won't be as sharp as desirable ?
Why don't you do the experiment with the lens of your camera or some other lens ?

(*) And here I should probably concede that the post #7 picture was correct as well -- but that's what you get with such high expectations :rolleyes:
:) thank you! And again sorry for a delay in reply. Usually I reply asap.

1. How do you determine the position of the lens between two holes and a screen?

The position of the lens can be determined by using the lens equation, which states that 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the distance between the object and the lens, and di is the distance between the lens and the image. By measuring these distances and solving the equation, the position of the lens can be found.

2. What factors affect the position of the lens?

The position of the lens is affected by the focal length, the distance between the object and the lens, and the distance between the lens and the image. Additionally, the type and shape of the lens can also impact its position.

3. How do you ensure accuracy when finding the position of the lens?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to take multiple measurements of the distances and use the average value in the lens equation. Using precise measuring tools, such as a ruler or caliper, can also help to improve accuracy.

4. Can the position of the lens be changed after it has been placed between two holes and a screen?

Yes, the position of the lens can be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the lens or the distance between the lens and the image. Additionally, changing the type or shape of the lens can also affect its position.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the position of a lens between two holes and a screen?

Finding the position of a lens in this setup can be useful in various scientific and engineering fields. For example, it can be used in the design and optimization of optical instruments such as cameras, microscopes, and telescopes. It can also be applied in the study of light and optics, as well as in the development of new lens technologies.