Find the probability of energy value after a given measurment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Taylor_1989
Messages
400
Reaction score
14

Homework Statement


I am having a issue conceptualising the problem as I believe the answer is 0.

imageedit_6_7749133169.png

Part c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


My answer is 0 and it for the following reason. A the being say time t=0 the system is in some arbitary state, then when I got to measure the particle at t=t1 the wave function collapse into the ##e^{\frac{-iE_at_1}{\hbar}}|a \rangle## so then as it in this state when I go to measure the particle again the probability of it being ##E_b## is will be 0 as the two states are orthogonal to each other, have I assume the correctly?
 
Attachments
  • imageedit_6_7749133169.png
    imageedit_6_7749133169.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,000
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

My answer is 0 and it for the following reason. A the being say time t=0 the system is in some arbitary state, then when I got to measure the particle at t=t1 the wave function collapse into the ##e^{\frac{-iE_at_1}{\hbar}}|a \rangle## so then as it in this state when I go to measure the particle again the probability of it being ##E_b## is will be 0 as the two states are orthogonal to each other, have I assume the correctly?
Yes, that's right.