1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the range of this function, given we know its domain is.

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1
    Preface: I can't understand a solution provided in a textbook. Please help me to understand.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define: [tex]f : D_f \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] such that
    [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x+2}[/tex] and [tex]Domain(f):=D_f = \{x \in \mathbb{R} : x \geq -2\}[/tex]

Find the range of f(x).

2. The textbook's solution
    Since the square-root assumes only positive numbers, we conclude that [tex]f(D_f) \subset \{y : y \geq 0\}[/tex]. Further, for every [tex]y \in [0,\inf)[/tex], it follows that [tex]\sqrt{y^2 - 2 + 2} = y [/tex], and hence that [tex]\{y : y \geq 0 \} \subset f(D_f) [/tex] and, finally, that [tex]f(D_f) = \{y : y \geq 0\}[/tex].

3. My problem

I can't understand this. I understand that if [tex]A \subset B[/tex] and [tex]B \subset A[/tex], then A = B. I also understand all notation. I just don't understand why they go [tex]\sqrt{y^2 - 2 + 2} = y \Rightarrow \{y : y \geq 0 \} \subset f(D_f) [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2
    What they want to do is to show that every positive number [itex]y[/itex] is the image of some [itex]x[/itex] in [itex]D_f[/itex] (and that just means there is some [itex]x \in D_f[/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=y[/itex]). To do this, for an arbitrary [itex]y \geq 0 [/itex] they explicitly construct an [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=y[/itex]. In this case, that is [itex]x=y^2-2[/itex], and [itex]f(x)=y[/itex] and since [itex]y \geq 0 [/itex] then [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq -2[/itex].

4. Jul 22, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is an increasing function, without upper bound, and [itex]\sqrt{3- 3}= \sqrt{0}= 0[/itex]. Those two are enough to tell you that the range is "all positive real numbers".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Jul 22, 2012 #4
    Confuzion solved.

Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook