Find the speed of a Block going up an incline

In summary, the speed after 5 seconds can be calculated by first finding the force of friction and effective gravity, then using the net force equation to find the acceleration, and finally using the equation for final velocity to determine the speed. The result is approximately 2.55 m/s, with units included.
Lucy90

Homework Statement

What is the speed after 5 seconds?
Given
Box1 : 400 kg
Box2: 100 kg
Initial velocity: 20 m/s
μk: .30
Angle of Incline: 25
Time: 5 seconds

Homework Equations

Force of Friction: (mg)(cos θ)(μ)
Effective Gravity: (mg)(sinθ)
F=ma
Vf = Vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

For Force of friction I got 1066.9055
For Effective Gravity I got 1658.3540
Then I added the weight from the 100 kg block

Then I did Fnet = -1066.91-1658.35 + 981 = 500a
a = -3.49

Vf = Vi + at
Vf = 20 + (-3.49)(5)
Vf = 2.55

I'm not sure if this is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lucy90,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your numerical result looks fine, but the units are missing. Always be sure to include the units on numbers that are results (including intermediate results). It helps with checking, and markers will usually deduct points (or simply mark the answer wrong) if they are left out. It's good to get into the habit of always including them.

1. What is the formula for finding the speed of a block going up an incline?

The formula for finding the speed of a block going up an incline is v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline.

2. How do you determine the height of the incline?

The height of the incline can be determined by measuring the vertical distance between the starting point and the point where the block comes to a stop.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth.

4. Does the mass of the block affect its speed going up an incline?

Yes, the mass of the block does affect its speed going up an incline. Heavier blocks will require more force to move up the incline and therefore will have a slower speed compared to lighter blocks.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the speed of the block going up an incline?

Other factors that could affect the speed of the block going up an incline include the angle of the incline, the surface of the incline, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.